Ninth body found at site of Santa-suit killings

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, there is a common phenomenon of serial killers and people guilty of heinous crimes being described as the nicest, friendliest person or someone who would never be suspected of such actions. This may be due to undetected mental illness or narcissism. These individuals may appear normal or even charming to others, but are capable of cold-bloodedly planning and carrying out brutal crimes. It is impossible to guard against these sudden outbursts of violence and there is no set profile for a killer.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I've always wondered about why so many serial killers and people guilty of heinous crimes are often described as being the nicest, friendliest person, or someone they would never suspect of being capable of such a thing. I guess many have been mentally ill for years. Would you consider someone that cold bloodedly plans and carries out something like this as sane? If not, what would you consider it?

The bloodbath began about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday when an 8-year-old girl attending a Christmas Eve party answered a knock at the door. A man dressed as Santa and carrying what appeared to a present pulled out a handgun and shot her in the face, then began shooting indiscriminately as partygoers tried to flee.

The gift-wrapped box Pardo was carrying actually contained a pressurized homemade device he used to spray a liquid that quickly sent the house up in flames.

His lawyer and a fellow church usher were among those who said they had never seen anything to indicate he was capable of such a brutal crime.

Pardo's attorney, Stanley Silver, said his client seemed cheerful when he left a message two days before the shooting and was trying to pay $10,000 to finalize the divorce proceedings.

"All of my dealings with him were always pleasant and cheerful," Silver said. "I'd never encountered him when he was ... angry or unpleasant at all."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081226/ap_on_re_us/santa_shooting

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
BobG said:
I wonder what one has to do to be someone's idea of a killer (besides the obvious).
Good question!

Wow, could they have gotten any more detailed in that article?

Evo said:
I've always wondered about why so many serial killers and people guilty of heinous crimes are often described as being the nicest, friendliest person, or someone they would never suspect of being capable of such a thing. I guess many have been mentally ill for years. Would you consider someone that cold bloodedly plans and carries out something like this as sane? If not, what would you consider it?
Well this guy was not a serial killer, but a serial killer must be someone who appears sane to the average person because they have to be capable of killing multiple people over a period of time.

such a needless tragedy. there really ought to be a 3-day waiting period on hydrocarbons.

Proton Soup said:
such a needless tragedy. there really ought to be a 3-day waiting period on hydrocarbons.

omg Proton...:rofl:

Evo said:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081226/ap_on_re_us/santa_shooting

It's called narcissism ... nothing else matters except themselves , if they want to kill then that is the necessary justification that they need ... everything else is besides the point.

People do not have to be genuine to be liked , being liked is about many other things. Should I be handsome as Brad Pitt I would gain instant trust from every women that I met.

Few things make my heart sink as much as this. What a horror. Imagine going to a holiday celebration and your 8 year old gets popped in the face. Truely a nightmare. The world is not always sugar and spice and all things nice. :frown:

Echoing Russ' comments, I'll bet that Jeffrey Dahmer appeared to be a nice, quiet guy and that people in his neighborhood would never expect him to have killed, raped, cannibalized at least 17 children and young men. The fellow mentioned in the OP had gone through a messy divorce and lost his job - the two most stressful events you can go through apart from the death of a loved one, and he snapped. There is NO way to guard against that. Even if he had threatened his ex-wife or her parents and they had been granted protective orders, those are only effective against somebody who fears incarceration. Someone contemplating a mass-murder would not be deterred by empty court orders like that.

GCT said:
It's called narcissism ... nothing else matters except themselves , if they want to kill then that is the necessary justification that they need ... everything else is besides the point.

People do not have to be genuine to be liked , being liked is about many other things. Should I be handsome as Brad Pitt I would gain instant trust from every women that I met.

I'm a rather quiet person. I don't talk much and generally find I don't have much in common with most people but quite often I find people talking to me for no particular reason. Perhaps, since I am mostly quiet, they feel that I am listening to them but really they most often bore or annoy me and I am trying to ignore them in hopes they will go away. At any rate I often find people whom I barely know, and who probably know next to nothing about me, saying that I'm a 'cool guy' and such. So I can see how some of these people who are described as "quiet" and "nice" could very well be loony toons since these people probably never bothered to really get to know them. They are not necessarily arrogant, narcissistic, or disingenuous.

People like this should just cut right to the chase and shoot themselves first. What a S.O.B.

Because it's natural selection. People with such heavy mental problems are only out of the madhouse or prison because they seem cheerful and nice and etc, so nobody can suspect a thing.

GCT said:
Should I be handsome as Brad Pitt I would gain instant trust from every women that I met.

that's not trust, but it rhymes with it.

and i don't think this has anything to do with serial killers. it sounds like a bitter hatred has been brewing for some time.

Proton Soup said:
that's not trust, but it rhymes with it.

and i don't think this has anything to do with serial killers. it sounds like a bitter hatred has been brewing for some time.

Bundy was dumped before he went on his " adventure " and apparently he had women problems before , he came to despise women which probably took place ever since he was young.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm a rather quiet person. I don't talk much and generally find I don't have much in common with most people but quite often I find people talking to me for no particular reason. Perhaps, since I am mostly quiet, they feel that I am listening to them but really they most often bore or annoy me and I am trying to ignore them in hopes they will go away. At any rate I often find people whom I barely know, and who probably know next to nothing about me, saying that I'm a 'cool guy' and such. So I can see how some of these people who are described as "quiet" and "nice" could very well be loony toons since these people probably never bothered to really get to know them. They are not necessarily arrogant, narcissistic, or disingenuous.

It all depends on the course of development. Someone who has been conscientious and organized to obtain a wife and a child with a decent job and social life may find it a big strike to his ego to get layed off and have his family leave him ... he won't have any of it , he does not deserve it , and others are going to pay for it.

When the time comes it is all about narcissism.

my uneducated theory:

I think there's a lot of powerplay involved in murder, which indicates control issues in the perp. It would probably be embarrassing for such extremist control freaks to show they can't contain themselves in social interactions so they tend to be excellent social engineers.

Emerging details indicated Pardo devised an extensive plan to destroy his ex-wife's family after a costly divorce that was finalized last week, just months after losing his aerospace job.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081227/ap_on_re_us/santa_shooting
Sounds like he lost everything of importance to him, and didn't know how to get the help he needed {or didn't realize he needed it}.
All of this was so well thought out, I'm glad he did away with himself, saved us a lot of money.

hypatia said:
Emerging details indicated Pardo devised an extensive plan to destroy his ex-wife's family after a costly divorce that was finalized last week, just months after losing his aerospace job.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081227/ap_on_re_us/santa_shooting
Sounds like he lost everything of importance to him, and didn't know how to get the help he needed {or didn't realize he needed it}.
All of this was so well thought out, I'm glad he did away with himself, saved us a lot of money.
So he hadn't intended to kill himself, he had planned to escape the country after killing all those people, but he accidently suffered severe burns when he was setting their house on fire. Serves the moron right. What was the point in him setting a bomb in his rental car?

GCT said:
Bundy was dumped before he went on his " adventure " and apparently he had women problems before , he came to despise women which probably took place ever since he was young.

It all depends on the course of development. Someone who has been conscientious and organized to obtain a wife and a child with a decent job and social life may find it a big strike to his ego to get layed off and have his family leave him ... he won't have any of it , he does not deserve it , and others are going to pay for it.

When the time comes it is all about narcissism.

why is it only the man's fault? maybe the women are doing some things here to incite the violence that really ought to be prosecuted.

Proton Soup said:
why is it only the man's fault? maybe the women are doing some things here to incite the violence that really ought to be prosecuted.

I am not claiming that it is the man's fault , some men go crazy because of manipulative women others have a drinking binge with friends , if you do not have the emotional capacity and maturity to deal with having your kids taken away from you do not get married.

GCT said:
I am not claiming that it is the man's fault , some men go crazy because of manipulative women others have a drinking binge with friends , if you do not have the emotional capacity and maturity to deal with having your kids taken away from you do not get married.

haha, how would you know until you got married and had kids?

When I was the lead operator (machine tender) on a brand-new high-speed paper machine back 26 years ago, we were forced to work 12-hour shifts (or even more) 7 days a week for over 3 months before we started getting any days off/reduced shift hours. Some of the young guys with kids had never made so much money in their lives, and several of them lost everything. Their wives got new cars, started running around, and initiated divorces. The guys lost their houses (wives got both the house and the kids) and the judges based the child-support payments on the huge amounts of money that those guys were making during start-up. One former school-teacher fell into alcoholism and lost everything (job included), another lived in a local weekly-rent flop-house and tried to keep everything together and make the child support payments while living like a pauper. He married a nice lady who also worked on the paper machine, and she couldn't take the strain, and committed suicide. Another guy's wife got everything (kids, house, better vehicle) and drained her ex-husband of everything she could get. She was no longer covered under the paper-mill's fairly decent health insurance, developed a rapidly-advancing fatal cancer and lost everything to medical bills. I'm surprised that no violence ensued. These guys went through absolute hell.

Evo said:

I played volleyball with the following gentleman for about 15 years.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/07/small_FRANKHUDSON.JPG

Frank was the nicest guy you ever met.

He killed and dismembered his landlord and roommate a while back.
He's now serving a life sentence.

In a short story by a local paper, http://wweek.com/editorial/3431/11085/" , they claim that he is 64 years old and had no previous criminal record.

My guess is that most humans have the capacity to become murderers. Fortunately, most of us do not act on the desire to kill each other.

Personally, I won't buy a gun, because I have this odd feeling, that within 3 months, there would be half as many rude drivers on the road.

1. What are the Santa-suit killings?

The Santa-suit killings refer to a string of murders that have occurred at a specific location where the victims were all dressed in Santa Claus suits.

2. How many bodies have been found at the site of the Santa-suit killings?

So far, nine bodies have been discovered at the location where the Santa-suit killings have taken place.

3. Who is responsible for the Santa-suit killings?

The perpetrator of the Santa-suit killings has not been identified yet. It is an ongoing investigation and the authorities are still working to gather information and evidence.

4. Is there a motive behind the Santa-suit killings?

At this time, it is unclear what the motive behind the Santa-suit killings may be. Investigators are exploring all possible leads and motives.

5. Are there any suspects in the Santa-suit killings?

As of now, there are no suspects in custody for the Santa-suit killings. The authorities are continuing their investigation and asking for the public's help in identifying any potential suspects.