No-communication theorem question

• Thread starter Smacal1072
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: Technically, entangled particles are (potentially) entangled with respect to multiple degrees of freedom. It is possible to have collapse of one degree of freedom WITHOUT collapse of all degrees of freedom. So that is pretty weird if you think about it.
Smacal1072
Hey all,

Performing observations on 1 of 2 entangled particles does not allow instantaneous transmission of information between them. But since the entangled particles compromise a single quantum system, why can't we interact with one particle to influence the other?

Example: Bob and Alice each have one of two spin entangled particles, which are in isolating boxes, and are still coherent. They are very far away. Before "observing" his particle, Bob applies a magnetic field across his box, in the up direction. Since he is changing the quantum state of his particle, Alice's particle must change as well, since they are a single system, right?

I'm sure there has been a thread about this already, I just couldn't find it :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Smacal1072 said:
Example: Bob and Alice each have one of two spin entangled particles. They are very far away. Before "observing" his particle, Bob applies a magnetic field to his particle. Since he is changing the quantum state of his particle, Alice's particle must change as well, since they are a single system, right?

If you change the state by doing something that "reveals" an observable's value, then the entangled partner particle will change accordingly. But you will simply have it jump into a random eigenstate. That is why no communication is possible. (If you act on the particle in such a way as to not cause a wave function collapse, then the other particle does not experience that. Example is changing its direction of travel.)

DrChinese said:
If you change the state by doing something that "reveals" an observable's value, then the entangled partner particle will change accordingly. But you will simply have it jump into a random eigenstate. That is why no communication is possible. (If you act on the particle in such a way as to not cause a wave function collapse, then the other particle does not experience that. Example is changing its direction of travel.)

Thks DrChinese - So suppose after applying this magnetic field, Bob opens his box and observes his particle. Since the magnetic field is up, the particle will surely collapse to the "up" eigenstate? And if so, (assuming that the entangled particles were created from a no initial net spin system), Alice's must collapse to the "Down" eigenstate to ensure conservation of spin?

Smacal1072 said:
Thks DrChinese - So suppose after applying this magnetic field, Bob opens his box and observes his particle. Since the magnetic field is up, the particle will surely collapse to the "up" eigenstate? And if so, (assuming that the entangled particles were created from a no initial net spin system), Alice's must collapse to the "Down" eigenstate to ensure conservation of spin?

The field is oriented in a direction so that the result can be UP or DOWN for Alice. And you would then see DOWN or UP for Bob accordingly. You can orient in any direction to get the UP/DOWN random results.

DrChinese said:
The field is oriented in a direction so that the result can be UP or DOWN for Alice. And you would then see DOWN or UP for Bob accordingly. You can orient in any direction to get the UP/DOWN random results.

I'm not sure I understand - the magnetic field is aligned on the same axis that bob and alice are making their observations. You would most likely never see a "down" observation for Bob, or a corresponding "up" observation for alice, since his particle will be influenced by the magnetic field, right?

I guess what I'm asking is: If I introduce an external potential to 1 of 2 entangled particles such that it changes the quantum state of that particle without decohere-ing the entangled system, do the particles remain entangled when they finally do decohere?

Thks for your patience DrChinese!

Smacal1072 said:
I'm not sure I understand - the magnetic field is aligned on the same axis that bob and alice are making their observations. You would most likely never see a "down" observation for Bob, or a corresponding "up" observation for alice, since his particle will be influenced by the magnetic field, right?

I guess what I'm asking is: If I introduce an external potential to 1 of 2 entangled particles such that it changes the quantum state of that particle without decohere-ing the entangled system, do the particles remain entangled when they finally do decohere?

Thks for your patience DrChinese!

If you align Alice and Bob with the vertical, you will get UP/DOWN or DOWN/UP. The result will be random.

Technically, entangled particles are (potentially) entangled with respect to multiple degrees of freedom. It is possible to have collapse of one degree of freedom WITHOUT collapse of all degrees of freedom. So that is pretty weird if you think about it. The HUP can be respected a degree of freedom at a time, leaving other degrees of freedom entangled. Experiments have been performed to demonstrate that.

But once a degree of freedom collapses, entanglement ends for that particular portion.

FAQ: No-communication theorem question

1. What is the no-communication theorem?

The no-communication theorem is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to use quantum systems to communicate information faster than the speed of light. This means that even if two particles are entangled, or connected in a way that allows them to influence each other, they cannot be used to transmit messages instantaneously.

2. Why is the no-communication theorem important?

The no-communication theorem is important because it helps to explain the limitations of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography, where it ensures the security of quantum communication protocols.

3. How was the no-communication theorem discovered?

The no-communication theorem was first proposed by physicist David Bohm in 1952 and was later proven mathematically by John Stewart Bell in 1964. It was based on the famous thought experiment known as "Bell's theorem" or the "EPR paradox," which involved two entangled particles and their potential to communicate information faster than light.

4. Are there any exceptions to the no-communication theorem?

No, the no-communication theorem applies to all quantum systems and is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. However, it is important to note that the theorem only applies to the direct transmission of information, and there are ways to use entanglement to achieve tasks that may seem like communication, such as quantum teleportation.

5. What are the implications of the no-communication theorem?

The no-communication theorem has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography. Additionally, the theorem has sparked debates and discussions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in quantum mechanics.