No, I didn't notice. Can you show me?

• I
  • Thread starter john baez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, Ramanujan's Easiest Formula is a puzzle within a puzzle that requires more cleverness than calculus to solve. Hardy called it one of the “least impressive” of his formulas, but still interesting. Ramanujan could have approached the problem in the same way as he did when he solved equation (1.8) in his first letter to Hardy.
john baez
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A while ago I decided to figure out how to prove one of Ramanujan’s formulas. I feel this is the sort of thing every mathematician should try at least once.

I picked the easiest one I could find:

ramanujan_challenge_1.jpg

Hardy called it one of the “least impressive”. Still, it was pretty interesting: it turned out to be a puzzle within a puzzle! It has an easy outer layer which one can solve using standard ideas in calculus, and a tougher inner core which requires more cleverness - but still, nothing beyond calculus.

Read more and learn how to prove this formula here:

• Informative
Likes Charles Link, jedishrfu, etotheipi and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting set of slides, I would not have thought to attack this problem using Taylor series and differential equations.

How did Ramanujan tackle it?

Was his approach limited to what he learned from the GS Carr book: A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure Mathematics?

It seems he could have approached it in the same way.

I would not have thought to attack this problem using Taylor series and differential equations.

When you see a series whose terms have something like factorials in their denominators:

## 1 + \frac{1}{1 \cdot 3} + \frac{1}{1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5} + \cdots ##

you should try to sum it using a Taylor series. A reasonable guess is to use this:

## f(x) = \frac{x}{1} + \frac{x^3}{1 \cdot 3} + \frac{x^5}{1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5} +\cdots ##

You can try to just guess a function that has this Taylor series, but in this example it's rather hard, so it's better to play around by integrating ##f##, differentiating it, multiplying it by stuff, and so on. The goal is to get equations you can solve to figure out what ##f## is.

How did Ramanujan tackle it?

I don't think anyone knows. But remember, he couldn't possibly have started by trying to prove this identity. He must have started by playing around with formulas and eventually found this identity.

Was his approach limited to what he learned from the GS Carr's book A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure Mathematics?

Quite possibly. Since Gaussians are so important he may have noticed that

## e^{x^2/2} \int_0^x e^{-t^2/2} \, dt = \frac{x}{1} + \frac{x^3}{1 \cdot 3} + \frac{x^5}{1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5} +\cdots ##

and since he was a master of continued fractions, he probably also showed something like this:

## e^{x^2/2} \int_x^\infty e^{-t^2/2} \, d t = \frac{1}{x + \frac{1}{x + \frac{2}{x + \frac{3}{x + \frac{4}{\qquad {\ddots}}}}}} ##

(A very similar formula is equation (1.8) in his first letter to Hardy, written in 1913.) It's easy to put these two formulas together and get

## \left(\frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{1 \cdot 3} + \frac{1}{1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5} + \cdots\right) \; + \; \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{1 + \frac{2}{1 + \frac{3}{1 + \frac{4}{1 + \frac{5}{\quad{}_{\tiny{\ddots}}}}}}}} = \sqrt{\frac{\pi e}{2}} ##

and this is the puzzle he posed in 1914.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, mfb, member 587159 and 2 others
This integration trick discloses how one of the problems I prepared for december can be solved. I wonder whether someone will notice.

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes Keith_McClary and etotheipi
I didn't notice. Hey Mikey (@berkeman) did you notice?

1. What is Ramanujan's easiest formula?

Ramanujan's easiest formula is a mathematical formula discovered by the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. It is a simple and elegant formula that can be used to calculate the value of pi (π) accurately.

2. How does Ramanujan's easiest formula work?

Ramanujan's easiest formula is based on a series expansion of the inverse tangent function. It involves a sum of terms that approach the value of pi as the number of terms increases.

3. What makes Ramanujan's easiest formula special?

Ramanujan's easiest formula is considered special because it is a simple and efficient way to calculate the value of pi. It requires fewer terms compared to other methods, making it a popular choice for mathematicians and scientists.

4. Can Ramanujan's easiest formula be used to calculate values other than pi?

Yes, Ramanujan's easiest formula can be used to calculate other values such as the square root of 2 and the natural logarithm of 2. It is a versatile formula that can be applied to various mathematical problems.

5. What is the significance of Ramanujan's easiest formula?

Ramanujan's easiest formula has been used to break records for calculating the value of pi. It has also been used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Its simplicity and accuracy make it a valuable tool in mathematics.