Number of Particles in Left Half of a Confined Box with Varying Energies

In summary, the problem involves 1000 neutral spinless particles confined in a one-dimensional box of length 100 nm. At a given instant, 100 particles have energy 4ε0 and the remaining 900 have energy 225ε0. The question asks for the approximate number of particles in the left half of the box, with answer choices of 441, 100, 500, and 625. However, since the left side of the box is not in a particular number state, the result of measuring the number of particles would be probabilistic, making the problem misguided.
phoenix95
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1000 neutral spinless particles are confined in a one-dimensional box of length 100 nm. At a given instant of time, if 100 of these particles have energy 4ε0 and the remaining 900 have energy 225ε0, then the number of particles in the left half of the box will be approximately

(a) 441

(b) 100

(c) 500

(d) 625

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Energies 4ε0 and 225ε0 correspond to E2 and E15 respectively, so I tried finding the expectation value for a single particle at these energy levels which turns out to be L/2 for both. But then I thought it is irrelevant for the problem, because I can't assign a single wave function to each of the particle and carry out the calculations.
Can anyone please help me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is a misguided problem. The left side of the box is not in a particular number state, which means if you measure the number of particles of the left half of the box, the result would be probabilistic.

Likes phoenix95
Xu Shuang said:
I think this is a misguided problem. The left side of the box is not in a particular number state, which means if you measure the number of particles of the left half of the box, the result would be probabilistic.
In that case, how should I start?:smile:

1. What is a potential box?

A potential box is a hypothetical container that is used to model the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It is typically represented as a one-dimensional or three-dimensional box with impenetrable walls.

2. What is the significance of particles in a potential box?

Particles in a potential box are important because they help us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. By studying how particles behave in a confined space, we can gain insight into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How do particles behave in a potential box?

The behavior of particles in a potential box is governed by the Schrödinger equation, which describes the wave-like behavior of particles. In a potential box, the particles are confined to a specific region and can only exist at certain energy levels, known as eigenstates.

4. What are the boundary conditions for particles in a potential box?

The boundary conditions for particles in a potential box state that the wave function must be equal to zero at the walls of the box, representing the impenetrable boundaries. This leads to quantization of the energy levels and determines the allowed wave functions for the particles.

5. How does the size of the potential box affect the behavior of particles?

The size of the potential box has a direct impact on the energy levels and wave functions of the particles. A larger box allows for more energy levels and more freedom for the particles to move, while a smaller box leads to fewer energy levels and more confined particle behavior.