Nodal lines and single slit experiment

In summary, the conversation was about determining the possible value for path difference, py-px, that places a point P at the second nodal line next to the central maximum in a diffraction pattern created by a single slit. The correct value is 2λ and it was identified through the formula PD = (n)λ, where n is the order of the nodal line. The conversation also clarified the difference between nodal and antinodal lines and their role in determining the maxima and minima in the diffraction pattern.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

The diagram above shows a single slit with lines marking the direction to a point P in the diffraction pattern. Two wavelets at x and y pass through the edges of the slit as shown. The possible value for path difference, py-px, that places P at the second nodal line next to the central maximum is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if its (5λ)/2 or something else.
Just to clarify: Maximas are lcoated where a nodal line is formed(and of which a nodal line is just a line passing through points of constructive interference)
So if it is two nodal lines away from the central maximum, that would mean its at the third maximum starting from the first.
Am i correct?
(If it is only one nodal line, will it be 3λ/2? I think so.)

Attachments

• adfadsfsd.png
    adfadsfsd.png
    373 bytes · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible to share the diagram? Also, nodal lines are areas of destructive interference and thus are minima.

I actually have an attachment if you can see it(I'd imagine it'd be a bit hard... but the diagram isn't really too useful)
Okay so I have had the wrong idea then. Would it be 1λ/2 and 2λ then?

Do you have the formula for the path difference?

Oh okay. The formula is
PD = (n
but the thing is they have to be out of phase(nodal line) for the minimum to appear. So minima appear where there are nodal lines present. Thus of which leads to being 1λ, 2λ, etc out of phase

Now, just replace your formula with the order the question is looking for (n=2) and you have it.

Last edited:
So that would suggest that I'm right? 2nd nodal line = 2lambda

Yessir!

Thanks for your help!
I had mixed up nodal and antinodal lines originally.

1. What are nodal lines in a single slit experiment?

Nodal lines refer to the dark regions or bands that appear in the diffraction pattern of a single slit experiment. These occur when the diffracted waves from the edges of the slit interfere with each other and cancel out, resulting in a dark band.

2. How do nodal lines form in a single slit experiment?

Nodal lines form due to the phenomenon of diffraction, where light waves spread out after passing through a narrow slit. As the waves pass through the slit, they diffract and interfere with each other, resulting in regions of constructive and destructive interference, which form the nodal lines.

3. What is the significance of nodal lines in a single slit experiment?

Nodal lines provide important information about the properties of light and the behavior of waves. They can be used to determine the wavelength of the light source and the width of the slit, and they also demonstrate the wave nature of light.

4. How do the properties of the slit affect the nodal lines in a single slit experiment?

The width of the slit is directly related to the spacing between the nodal lines. A narrower slit will result in a wider spacing between the nodal lines, while a wider slit will result in a narrower spacing. Additionally, the number of nodal lines that form is also affected by the width of the slit.

5. Can nodal lines be observed in other types of experiments besides single slit experiments?

Yes, nodal lines can also be observed in other types of diffraction experiments, such as double slit or multiple slit experiments. They can also be observed in sound waves, water waves, and other types of waves that exhibit diffraction and interference.