Non-adiabatic expansion in Diesel and Otto cycles

In summary, the expansion step in a real Otto or Diesel cycle involves two stages: a constant pressure expansion where the temperature increases but the pressure remains constant, and an adiabatic expansion where both temperature and pressure decrease. This is possible due to the addition of heat and the expansion of volume. The same principle applies to the compression step in real heat pumps, where the temperature is higher than in ideal isentropic compression due to heat loss to the surroundings. This results in a decrease in mechanical work output but a similar decrease in temperature and pressure.
racctor
TL;DR Summary
How can the temperature in a non-adiabatic expansion stay high while the the pressure drops to a very low level?
Hello!

I have a question that has been bothering me for a while now. If we look at the expansion step of a real otto or diesel cycle, we see that while the pressure drops to near surrounding levels, the temperature remains relatively high ( high T of the exhaust gas). How is that possible? How can energy enter the system that increases the temperature, but not the pressure? Or in other words, how can energy dissipate into kinetic energy of the gas but not increase the pressure?

I think the same problem occurs for me in the compression step of real heat pumps: If i add work to a real system to reach a certain pressure, how come the temperature of real systems is higher than in the ideal isentropic compression?

If we take into account that in those examples we experience some heat loss to the surroundings, wouldn't that just decrease the mechanical Work i can get out of the system, but since heat is lost that way the temperature drop should also be the same as the pressure drop?

Your help is very much appreciated
kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two expansions in the Diesel cycle. The first is a constant pressure expansion while the fuel burns followed by an adiabatic expansion. In the initial expansion part the temperature increases but pressure is fairly constant as heat is added. In the adiabatic expansion temperature and pressure both decrease as the volume expands.

In the Otto cycle heat flow in occurs at constant volume followed by adiabatic expansion. As in the diesel cycle, the pressure and temperature decrease during the adiabatic expansion.

AM

1. What is non-adiabatic expansion in Diesel and Otto cycles?

Non-adiabatic expansion refers to the process in which the working fluid in the engine expands and does work on the piston, but heat is not added or removed from the system. In Diesel and Otto cycles, this expansion occurs during the power stroke.

2. How does non-adiabatic expansion affect engine performance?

Non-adiabatic expansion can decrease the efficiency of the engine, as some energy is lost in the form of heat during the expansion process. This can also lead to an increase in exhaust emissions.

3. What factors influence non-adiabatic expansion in Diesel and Otto cycles?

The main factors that influence non-adiabatic expansion are the compression ratio, engine speed, and fuel-air mixture. A higher compression ratio and faster engine speed can lead to a more significant non-adiabatic expansion, while a leaner fuel-air mixture can reduce its effects.

4. How can non-adiabatic expansion be minimized in Diesel and Otto cycles?

One way to minimize non-adiabatic expansion is by improving the insulation of the engine components. This can reduce the amount of heat lost during the expansion process. Another approach is to use a higher compression ratio and optimize the fuel-air mixture to reduce the effects of non-adiabatic expansion.

5. What are the implications of non-adiabatic expansion on engine design?

Non-adiabatic expansion can affect the design of the engine, as it may require additional insulation and cooling systems to compensate for the lost energy. It can also impact the overall efficiency and emissions of the engine, which must be considered in the design process.