Non-coherent spread spectrum for distance measurement

In summary: If you are trying to track a moving object then it is a better way, as the onboard GPS will track the object. If you are just trying to measure the distance between two points, then using the onboard GPS may be enough.
senmeis
Hi,I’ve heard of a technology that enables to measure the distance of a satellite to the ground station by using non-coherent spread spectrum. Can anybody tell me what’s the name of this technology?Senmeis

Engineering news on Phys.org
Non-coherent Ranging Systems.

Travel time ranging. Time delay ranging.

Telemetry Aided Doppler Tracking. (TADT).

Regenerative ranging. Pseudo-noise ranging systems.
Regenerative Pseudo-Noise-Like (PNL) ranging sequences
https://public.ccsds.org/Pubs/414x0g2.pdf

Likes berkeman
Thank you. It seems similar to range measurements in GPS. Where can I find some products providing this mechanism?Senmeis

Exactly what are you trying to do ?

I want to understand this technology, but with the implementation I will get a better understanding. I know this is a relative small application field so it’s not easy to find such info in internet.Senmeis

senmeis said:
I know this is a relative small application field so it’s not easy to find such info in internet.
The problem is with the huge size and complexity of the fascinating field.
Google ' introduction to spread spectrum .pdf '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudorandom_binary_sequence
You can conduct experiments with PRBS ranging codes on the bench or in coaxial cables without needing to transmit. If you make PRBS generators and clock them at slightly different rates, they will regularly move through synchronisation which you can detect with a simple phase detector such as an EXOR gate and low pass filter. In effect the PRBS code is a uniquely coded tape measure that is fed to a transponder and back again. By measuring the transit time you measure the distance.

Thank you. I think I can understand this technique. What about the case if the flying object has its own onboard GPS equipment? The distance can be calculated if the flying object’s coordinate is broadcasted. Is it a better way?Senmeis

senmeis said:
Is it a better way?
It will depend on what you are trying to do and why you are doing it.

Related to Non-coherent spread spectrum for distance measurement

1. What is non-coherent spread spectrum for distance measurement?

Non-coherent spread spectrum for distance measurement is a technique used in wireless communication systems to accurately measure the distance between two devices without the need for synchronization or coherent processing. It involves spreading a low-power signal over a wide frequency range, making it resistant to interference and improving the accuracy of distance measurements.

2. How does non-coherent spread spectrum work?

Non-coherent spread spectrum works by spreading the signal over a wide frequency range using a pseudo-random sequence. This makes the signal appear as noise to other devices, making it resistant to interference. The receiving device then correlates the received signal with the same pseudo-random sequence to accurately measure the time delay and calculate the distance between the two devices.

3. What are the advantages of using non-coherent spread spectrum for distance measurement?

Non-coherent spread spectrum offers several advantages for distance measurement, including improved accuracy, resistance to interference, and the ability to work in harsh environments. It also does not require synchronization between the transmitting and receiving devices, making it easier to implement in practical applications.

4. What are some common applications of non-coherent spread spectrum for distance measurement?

Non-coherent spread spectrum is commonly used in various applications, including radar systems, wireless sensor networks, and location tracking systems. It is also used in industrial and military applications for precise distance measurement and target tracking.

5. What are the limitations of non-coherent spread spectrum for distance measurement?

While non-coherent spread spectrum offers many benefits, it also has some limitations. It may not be suitable for highly precise distance measurements, as it relies on correlating the received signal with a pseudo-random sequence. Additionally, it may be susceptible to multipath interference in certain environments, which can affect the accuracy of distance measurements.