1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-constant index of refraction due to layered material.

1. Aug 22, 2010 #1
    A ray of light travels through a medium with an index of refraction [tex]n_{1}[/tex] and strikes an layered medium such that the index of refraction is [tex]n_{2}=ky+1[/tex] where [tex]y[/tex] is the depth of the medium and [tex]k[/tex] is a constant. If it hits at an angle of [tex]\theta_{1}[/tex] with respect to the normal, find the angle [tex]\theta_{2}[/tex] at which the light ray refracts as a function of time.

Source: A post that I made on the Art Of Problem Solving forum.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2010 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As with all homework like questions you must show some work before getting help.

4. Aug 22, 2010 #3
    My work:
    So far I know that [tex]v=\frac{c}{n_{2}}[/tex] is the speed of the light beam, which is also equal to [tex]v=\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]. So a differential equation to solve would be [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{c}{n_{2}}[/tex]

5. Aug 23, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The light ray does not travel along y but at an angle θ2 with respect to it. θ2 itself is a function of y.

ehild

6. Aug 23, 2010 #5
    APhO 2004 problem 2. It is similar to this one. Look at the solution there.

7. Aug 23, 2010 #6
    But because [tex]y[/tex] is a function of time, that also makes [tex]\theta_{2}[/tex] a function of time.

8. Aug 23, 2010 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And how are y and θ2 related?

ehild

9. Aug 23, 2010 #8
    If the material is layered infintesimally so that the index of refraction is proportional to the y, which I stated in the problem, then y is related to [tex]\theta[/tex]2 because the index of refraction is related to [tex]\theta[/tex]2

10. Aug 23, 2010 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the relation between the refractive index and θ2?

ehild

11. Aug 23, 2010 #10
    The refractive index and [tex]\theta[/tex]2 are related through Snell's Law.

12. Aug 24, 2010 #11

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well. At depth y, the light ray encloses the angle θ2(y) with the y axis. The light travels along a curved path s and ds/dt = c/n2(y). At depth y, θ2 is obtained from Snell's law. Now you can set up the differential equation for θ2 as function of t.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook