1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-dimensional differential equation

1. Apr 20, 2014 #1

wel

Gold Member

A body of constant mass is thrown vertically upwards from the ground. It can be shown that the appropriate non-dimensional differential equation for the height [itex]x(t;u)[/itex], reached at time [itex]t\geq0[/itex] is given by
    \begin{equation} \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -1-\mu (\frac{dx}{dt})
    \end{equation}
    with corresponding initial conditions [itex]x(0)=0, \frac{dx}{dt}(0) =1[/itex], and where [itex]0<\mu<<1.[/itex]
    Deduce that the (non-dimensional) height at the highest point (where [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} =0[/itex]) is given by
    \begin{equation} h(\mu)= \frac{1}{\mu}- \frac{1}{\mu^2} log_e(1+\mu) \end{equation}

=>
    It really hard for me to start

I was thinking do integration twice by doing the separation of variable:
    \begin{equation} \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -1-\mu (\frac{dx}{dt})
    \end{equation}
    I got the general solution of \begin{equation}x(t)= \frac{log(t\mu +1) -t \mu}{\mu^2}\end{equation}

after that I do not know how to get the answer.
    Please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you get that solution? You have a constant coefficient second order DE. You wouldn't expect a logarithm in the solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted