Non-dimensionalization of a wave equation with point source

In summary, the problem is that when non-dimensionalizing this equation if I substitute in the definition of my dimensionless variables (i.e. something to the effect of x = L x^*) in the delta function, the argument of the delta function still has units. So there is no dimensionless parameter that is multiplied by delta function and sine function. I want a dimensionless parameter to multiply the delta function and sine function so I can solve the non-dimensionalized problem. How to resolve this problem is unclear to me.
LightningStrike
I've been trying to non-dimensionalize a wave equation with a moving point source, but the peculiar properties of the delta function have confused me. How does one non-dimensionalize an equation with a delta function?

For example, the equation I'm looking at is something like the one below.

[itex]\nabla^2 P + 4 \pi A \delta(\vec{r} - \vec{r}_s) \sin(\omega t) = \frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial^2 P}{\partial t^2}[/itex]

The term with the (3D) delta function throws me off. The delta function has units of [itex][L]^{-3}[/itex]. By changing the inside of the delta function to non-dimensionalized vectors, the dimension of the delta function is lost, and the equation is no longer dimensionally consistent.

Any hints?

By the way, I know the solution for the unbounded case, but I'm interested in a certain geometry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know how to non-dimensionalize this? It'd really help with the research I'm doing. I'm convinced that I'm simply missing something obvious.

A delta function has the dimension of the inverse of it's argument. In your equation the dimension of A must be [m]/[P] and you need c^2 instead of c on the right-hand side.

Yes, c instead of c^2 is a typo.

And I understand that a delta function has the dimension of the inverse of its argument. As I've said, the 3D delta function has units of [itex][L]^{-3}[/itex].

If it is unclear [itex]\vec{r} = x \hat{i} + y \hat{j} + z \hat{k}[/itex]. [itex]\vec{r}_s[/itex] is the location of the sound source.

The problem is that when non-dimensionalizing this equation if I substitute in the definition of my dimensionless variables (i.e. something to the effect of [itex]x = L x^*[/itex]) in the delta function, the argument of the delta function still has units. So there is no dimensionless parameter that is multiplied by delta function and sine function. I want a dimensionless parameter to multiply the delta function and sine function so I can solve the non-dimensionalized problem. How to resolve this problem is unclear to me.

I've rewritten the paragraph about a few times because it sounded convoluted. Let me know if you want another explanation.

Last edited:
Oh ok maybe I get what you mean... probably the property you need is

[tex]\delta(ax)=\frac{\delta(x)}{|a|}[/tex]

and for the 3-dimensional delta function

[tex]\delta^3(a\mathbf{x})=\frac{\delta^3(\mathbf{x})}{|a|^3}[/tex]

so that, if you put [tex]\mathbf{x}'=L\mathbf{x}[/tex] and [tex]t'=\omega t[/tex] your equation becomes

[tex]\nabla'^2P+B\delta^3(\mathbf{x}'-\mathbf{x}'_s)\sin(t')=C^2\frac{\partial^2P}{\partial t'^2}[/tex]

with [tex]B=4\pi A L^8[/tex] and [tex]C=\omega L/c[/tex] dimensionless constants.
I hope I haven't made mistakes and that it helps.

Last edited:
Yes, that seems to be precisely what I needed. I was not aware of that property. Thank you.

You neglected the sine function, and I think you meant x = L x', but I can figure the remainder out.

Last edited:
btrettel said:
You neglected the sine function, and I think you meant x = L x', but I can figure the remainder out.

Oh I forgot... edited!

1. What is non-dimensionalization?

Non-dimensionalization is the process of converting a set of equations or variables into dimensionless form by dividing them by appropriate scaling factors. This allows for a more simplified analysis and comparison of different systems or phenomena.

2. Why is non-dimensionalization important in the study of wave equations with point sources?

In wave equations with point sources, non-dimensionalization helps to eliminate any dependence on physical units such as time, length, or mass. This allows for a more general and universal understanding of the behavior of waves without being limited by specific units.

3. How is non-dimensionalization applied to a wave equation with a point source?

To non-dimensionalize a wave equation with a point source, the equation is rewritten in terms of dimensionless variables and parameters. This is usually done by choosing appropriate scaling factors for time, length, and amplitude, and substituting them into the original equation.

4. What are the benefits of non-dimensionalization in the study of wave equations?

Non-dimensionalization allows for a clearer understanding of the underlying physical principles governing a system, as it removes the complexities introduced by physical units. It also simplifies the mathematical analysis and makes it easier to compare different systems or phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to non-dimensionalization in the study of wave equations with point sources?

Non-dimensionalization may not be applicable to all systems or phenomena, as there may be certain physical quantities that cannot be easily scaled to dimensionless form. It also does not provide any new information, but rather presents the existing information in a different way for easier analysis.