Non-homeomorphis between CP^4 and CP^2 x CP^2

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses trying to prove that ## \mathbb CP^4 ## and ## \mathbb CP^2 \times \mathbb CP^2 ## are not homeomorphic. The standard methods of comparing fundamental groups and (co)homology do not work, so the focus is on cup products. It is suggested to compute the cohomology groups and use Kunneth's formula to compute all possible cup products. However, it is noted that computing Euler characteristics may be a simpler solution. The conversation then discusses the homology groups of ## \mathbb CP^4 ## and ## \mathbb CP^2 \times \mathbb CP^2 ## and their differences, with a suggestion to check the work
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, I am trying to show that ## \mathbb CP^4 ## and ## \mathbb CP^2 \times \mathbb CP^2 ## are not homeomorphic. None of the standard methods --comparing the fundamental group of the product with the product
of fundamental groups, nor (co)homology seem to work. So I am trying to work with the cup products and
show these are different. Please let me know if this is correct: we need to compute the cohomology groups on
each side, and then we just compute all possible cup products using Kunneth's formula. Is this correct?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah computing all cup products by hand will certainly yield a proof but I don't think you need to do anything more complicated than compute the homology groups. The simplest idea that comes to mind is just to compute the Euler characteristics which we know are multiplicative so you only need to know the homology of [itex] \mathbb{C}P^4[/itex] and [itex] \mathbb{C}P^2 [/itex]. I believe this results in [itex] \chi(\mathbb{CP^4})=5 [/itex] but [itex] \chi(\mathbb{CP^2}\times \mathbb{CP^2})=\chi(\mathbb{CP^2})\chi(\mathbb{C}P^2)=9[/itex] so the homology groups of these two spaces must differ.

Thanks, Terandol, you're right, that is a nice, simple solution. Still, I would like to review cup products; would you mind checking my work ?

without any computation, it seems naively that the homology of C^4 has one generator in degree 2, whereas the product space has two.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Still, I would like to review cup products; would you mind checking my work ?

I can take a look at your work if you would like but I'm probably the wrong person to ask about doing actual hands on computations...I usually completely mess it up the first few times I try.

It may be helpful to check your work to observe that as graded rings, [itex] H^{\bullet}(\mathbb{C}P^4,\mathbb{Z}) =\mathbb{Z[\alpha]}/(\alpha^5) [/itex] and by the Kunneth formula [itex] H^{\bullet}(\mathbb{C}P^2\times\mathbb{C}P^2,\mathbb{Z})=\mathbb{Z}[\alpha]/(\alpha^3)\otimes_{\mathbb{Z}} \mathbb{Z}/(\alpha^3) [/itex] (using the standard grading on the tensor product and where [itex]\alpha[/itex] has degree 2 in both cases) so you can tell from this what all the cup products have to be.

1. What is a non-homeomorphic relationship between CP^4 and CP^2 x CP^2?

A non-homeomorphic relationship between CP^4 and CP^2 x CP^2 means that these two spaces cannot be continuously deformed into each other while maintaining their topological properties. In other words, they are not equivalent in terms of their shape and structure.

2. How do CP^4 and CP^2 x CP^2 differ in terms of their topological properties?

CP^4 is a simply-connected space, meaning that any loop in this space can be continuously shrunk to a point. On the other hand, CP^2 x CP^2 is not simply-connected, as it contains non-trivial loops that cannot be shrunk to a point. This is one of the reasons why these two spaces are non-homeomorphic.

3. What is the significance of studying the non-homeomorphic relationship between CP^4 and CP^2 x CP^2?

Studying non-homeomorphic relationships between spaces helps us understand the different ways in which spaces can be classified and how they are related to each other. It also allows us to explore the limitations of certain topological properties and their role in distinguishing between spaces.

4. What are some real-world applications of the concept of non-homeomorphism?

Non-homeomorphism has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in physics, it helps in understanding the topology of physical systems and their behavior. In engineering, it is used in designing complex structures and understanding their stability. In computer science, it is used in image recognition and pattern recognition algorithms.

5. Is there a way to visualize the non-homeomorphic relationship between CP^4 and CP^2 x CP^2?

Yes, there are various ways to visualize the non-homeomorphic relationship between CP^4 and CP^2 x CP^2. One way is to use different topological invariants, such as the fundamental group, homology groups, and cohomology groups, to distinguish between these spaces. Another way is to use mathematical constructions, such as the Cartesian product, to show how these spaces are structurally different.