1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-homogeneous Difference Equations

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone, this is my first post but I've been reading through the forum for a quite sometime now. I've recently began trying to do some difference equations, for the most I've been doing good, but just a few things have puzzled me.
    I have two questions relating to the particular solutions of non-homogeneous equation.
    First one is, if the equation is x(k+1) - x(k) = 8log2(k) and I wanted to get the particular solution:
    f(x) = 8long2(k) but what is particular solution? I know for example if f(x) = 8e^k it would be c*e^k.

Secondly if the equation is x(3k) = 2x(k) for 1,3,9,27,..., with x(1) = 1, how do I get this into the standard form? Or is it already in the standard form.
    My first step for this one was:
    let k = 2^m and x(k) = y(m) hence,
    3k = 2^(m+2) and x(3k) = y(m+2)
    But have no idea of this is the right approach.

Sorry I know they are stupid questions, but they've really stumped me. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2
    Any ideas anyone?

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, let us exponentiate, and we get:
    [tex]\frac{y_{k+1}}{y_{k}}=k^{8}, y_{k}=2^{x_{k}}[/tex]

Furthermore, introduce [tex]z_{k}=\sqrt[8]{y_{k}}[/tex], whereby we get the difference equation:
    [tex]z_{k+1}-kz_{k}=0[/tex]
    The solution of this is well-known:
    [tex]z_{k}=B(k-1)![/tex]
    Thus, we get:
    [tex]y_{k}=C((k-1)!)^{8}[/tex]
    And the particular solution for x becomes:
    [tex]x_{k}=D+8\log_{2}((k-1)!)[/tex]

Also note that this includes the homogenous solution, i.e a constant, so this is, as it happens, the general solution.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  5. Oct 19, 2008 #4
    Ah I see, I'm still a bit confused but that helped a great deal. Thank you arildno, I appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?