Non-homogenous Diff EQ, LRC circuit

In summary, the conversation discussed solving for the charge and current in an LRC circuit with given values for L, R, C, and E(t). The general solution for Q(t) was found by applying initial conditions, and the current was found by differentiating Q(t). The conversation also touched on finding the maximum charge on the capacitor, which occurs at steady state when t approaches infinity and has a value of 10.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider an LRC circuit. L = 3/5, R = 10, C = 1/30, E(t) = 300, Q(0)=0, I(0)=0
i) Find charge and current.
ii) Find maximum charge on the capacitor.

Homework Equations

LQ'' + RQ' +(1/C)Q = E

The Attempt at a Solution

(3/5)Q'' + 10Q' +30Q = 300

For the roots of characteristic equation I got:

[itex]m = -\frac{25}{3} \pm \frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3}[/itex]

This leads to the solution to the homogenous part, and the particular solution is simply Q=10.

So, after applying initial conditions to find the constants, the full general solution came out to

[itex] Q(t) = (5- \frac{25}{\sqrt{7}})e^{(-\frac{25}{3} + \frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})t} + (\frac{25}{\sqrt{7}}-15)e^{(-\frac{25}{3}-\frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})t} +10[/itex]

Differentiating to find the current gives me:

[itex] I(t) = (-\frac{25}{3} + \frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})(5- \frac{25}{\sqrt{7}})e^{(-\frac{25}{3} + \frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})t} + (-\frac{25}{3}-\frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})(\frac{25}{\sqrt{7}}-15)e^{(-\frac{25}{3}-\frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})t}[/itex]

So that's part i) finished.

But I'm confused on part ii)...

It's asking for the maximum charge on the capacitor, and I assume charge is given by Q(t).
So to find the maximum charge, do I set I=0 and solve for t? Since it says I(0)=0, then wouldn't t=0, which means Q=0?

I'm pretty sure there is more to it then that, but I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should try plotting Q(t) to see what's going on.

The extrema of Q(t) may occur at points where I(t)=0. You don't know if they're maxima or minima without looking closer, though. The extrema can also occur at other places as well.

I didn't check your numbers. But the capacitor is going to charge up and everything will come to a halt, won't it? You need to look what happens as ##t\rightarrow\infty##.

According to my trusty graphing calculator, The graph increases sharply until it levels off at Q=10, at approximately t=3.

OH. Ok I think I get it... so the lim as t-> inf of Q = 10. duh. For some reason my mind just didn't want to register that extra +10 on the end of the equation, that has been giving me trouble the whole time.

Thank you.

So since I(0) = 0, then Q(t) has a minimum at t=0.

What about the maximum? It doesn't really have a formal max because it is an open interval in the positive direction, but it converges to Q=10... is that enough to say the max=10?

From the distinct real roots, you know that the 2nd order system is overdamped, so there is no over shoot in the step response. Hence, the max Q occurs at steady state while t->infy.

On the other hand, if you have a complex conjugate roots (underdamp), the max Q is the peak overshoot of the step response.

ElijahRockers said:
What about the maximum? It doesn't really have a formal max because it is an open interval in the positive direction, but it converges to Q=10... is that enough to say the max=10?
A mathematician would say it doesn't have a maximum. Everyone else would say Qmax=10.

1. What is a non-homogeneous differential equation?

A non-homogeneous differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It differs from a homogeneous differential equation in that it includes an additional term that is not proportional to the function or its derivatives.

2. What is an LRC circuit?

An LRC circuit is an electric circuit that is made up of an inductor, a resistor, and a capacitor. The name LRC comes from the first letter of each component. These circuits are commonly used in electronics and have a wide range of applications, including signal processing and filtering.

3. How is a non-homogeneous differential equation used in an LRC circuit?

In an LRC circuit, a non-homogeneous differential equation is used to describe the behavior of the electrical current and voltage over time. It takes into account the effects of the inductor, resistor, and capacitor on the circuit, as well as any external forces or inputs.

4. What are the solutions to a non-homogeneous differential equation in an LRC circuit?

The solutions to a non-homogeneous differential equation in an LRC circuit depend on the specific parameters and initial conditions of the circuit. In general, there may be multiple solutions that satisfy the equation, but the most commonly used solution is the one that minimizes the total energy in the circuit.

5. How is a non-homogeneous differential equation solved for an LRC circuit?

Solving a non-homogeneous differential equation for an LRC circuit involves using various techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or Laplace transforms. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy in the solution. Computer programs can also be used to numerically solve the equation.