1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-homogenous Diff EQ, LRC circuit

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider an LRC circuit. L = 3/5, R = 10, C = 1/30, E(t) = 300, Q(0)=0, I(0)=0
    i) Find charge and current.
    ii) Find maximum charge on the capacitor.

2. Relevant equations

LQ'' + RQ' +(1/C)Q = E

3. The attempt at a solution

(3/5)Q'' + 10Q' +30Q = 300

For the roots of characteristic equation I got:

[itex]m = -\frac{25}{3} \pm \frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3}[/itex]

This leads to the solution to the homogenous part, and the particular solution is simply Q=10.

So, after applying initial conditions to find the constants, the full general solution came out to

[itex] Q(t) = (5- \frac{25}{\sqrt{7}})e^{(-\frac{25}{3} + \frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})t} + (\frac{25}{\sqrt{7}}-15)e^{(-\frac{25}{3}-\frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})t} +10[/itex]

Differentiating to find the current gives me:

[itex] I(t) = (-\frac{25}{3} + \frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})(5- \frac{25}{\sqrt{7}})e^{(-\frac{25}{3} + \frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})t} + (-\frac{25}{3}-\frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})(\frac{25}{\sqrt{7}}-15)e^{(-\frac{25}{3}-\frac{5\sqrt{7}}{3})t}[/itex]

So that's part i) finished.

But I'm confused on part ii)....

It's asking for the maximum charge on the capacitor, and I assume charge is given by Q(t).
    So to find the maximum charge, do I set I=0 and solve for t? Since it says I(0)=0, then wouldn't t=0, which means Q=0?

I'm pretty sure there is more to it then that, but I'm confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should try plotting Q(t) to see what's going on.

The extrema of Q(t) may occur at points where I(t)=0. You don't know if they're maxima or minima without looking closer, though. The extrema can also occur at other places as well.

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't check your numbers. But the capacitor is going to charge up and everything will come to a halt, won't it? You need to look what happens as ##t\rightarrow\infty##.

5. Jun 18, 2012 #4

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

According to my trusty graphing calculator, The graph increases sharply until it levels off at Q=10, at approximately t=3.

OH. Ok I think I get it... so the lim as t-> inf of Q = 10. duh. For some reason my mind just didn't want to register that extra +10 on the end of the equation, that has been giving me trouble the whole time.

Thank you.

So since I(0) = 0, then Q(t) has a minimum at t=0.

What about the maximum? It doesn't really have a formal max because it is an open interval in the positive direction, but it converges to Q=10... is that enough to say the max=10?

6. Jun 18, 2012 #5
    From the distinct real roots, you know that the 2nd order system is overdamped, so there is no over shoot in the step response. Hence, the max Q occurs at steady state while t->infy.

On the other hand, if you have a complex conjugate roots (underdamp), the max Q is the peak overshoot of the step response.

7. Jun 18, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

A mathematician would say it doesn't have a maximum. Everyone else would say Qmax=10.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook