Non-Isentropic Diesel Cycle (with variable specific heat)

In summary, the task is to find the temperature at each state in a Diesel cycle with a non-isentropic compression process and variable specific heat. The given parameters include compression efficiency, initial temperature, heat input, compression ratio, and a curve fit for specific heat. The equations for this process involve the use of an ideal assumption for state 2 and the compression efficiency to find the temperature, but this does not account for the variable specific heat. The key to solving this problem is to accurately determine the values for the specific heat at states 2 and 2s. One approach is to use a weighted average specific heat, but this may result in significant error. The motivation for modeling the compression stroke of a diesel engine as non-isent
Funknatics

Homework Statement

I must find temperature at each state, for starters.

This is a Diesel cycle with a non-isentropic compression process, but standard the rest of the way. The specific heat is variable with temperature. Fluid is air

Givens:
compression efficiency [tex](\eta_{c})[/tex], initial temperature([tex]T_{1})[/tex], qH, compression ratio [tex]r_{c}[/tex] , curve fit for [tex]C_{v}(T)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Non-isentropic with constant specific heat, k = 1.4
(1) [tex]T_{2} = T_{1} + \frac{T_{2s} - T_{1}}{\eta_{c}}[/tex]

(2) [tex]\frac{T_{2s}}{T_{1}} = (\frac{V_{2}}{V_{1}})^{k-1}[/tex]

(3) [tex]\eta_{c}=\frac{C_{v_{2s}}(T_{2s}-T_{1})}{C_{v_{2}}(T_{2}-T_{1})}}[/tex]

(4) [tex]C_{v_{2s}}[/tex] - [tex]C_{v}[/tex] from average of T1 and T2s

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]T_{2s}[/tex] is an ideal assumption of the process assuming that it is isentropic. Using this, and the compression efficiency, I can find a temperature for state 2 through equation (1), assuming that the specific heat is constant, which is not true in this case.

I believe that equation (3) is the key to this, with a good assumption on the values of [tex]C_{v_{2}} and C_{v_{2s}}[/tex]. One way I thought of doing this is to take the average of the temperatures and using the curve fit to find this specific heat. However, I can only do this for the ideal case as I don't have the final temperature.

This is where I am stuck.

Would it be valid to relate the compression efficiency to the change in temperature? If so, how? It would have to be a higher temperature because of the increase in entropy, and I would imagine it would look something along the lines of T1 + dT(1+ eta_c), or something (im not sure).

Any insight on this would be helpful. It frustrates me to have hit this road block right off the bat on this project.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I got a bit lost in all the text and [tex] so if I left anything out, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it be out of line to ask where this nonisentropic compression process comes from? Is this a home work problem, an experimentally observed result, or what? I have never heard of anyone wanting to model the compression stroke of a diesel engine as anything other than an adiabatic process, so I puzzled as to the motivation here.

It is an end of term thermodynamics project, and that was just given.

I used a weighted average Cp to model the process with most likely significant error, but within reason of the project. The emphasis on the project was to determine the trends of changing the compression ratio, heat input, and initial temperature so the exact numbers weren't as important.

What is a Non-Isentropic Diesel Cycle?

A Non-Isentropic Diesel Cycle is a thermodynamic process that describes the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of a diesel engine during its operating cycle. It takes into account the non-ideal conditions of the engine, such as variable specific heat, which affects the efficiency of the cycle.

How does variable specific heat affect the Non-Isentropic Diesel Cycle?

Variable specific heat refers to the fact that the specific heat of the working fluid (air) in a diesel engine changes throughout the operating cycle. This means that the specific heat is not constant and can affect the energy transfer and efficiency of the cycle. It is important to consider this variable when analyzing the performance of a diesel engine.

What are the benefits of using a Non-Isentropic Diesel Cycle model?

The Non-Isentropic Diesel Cycle model takes into account the non-ideal conditions of a diesel engine, such as variable specific heat. This allows for a more accurate analysis of the engine's performance and can help engineers improve its efficiency. It also provides a better understanding of the thermodynamic processes involved in a diesel engine.

How is the Non-Isentropic Diesel Cycle different from the Ideal Diesel Cycle?

The Ideal Diesel Cycle assumes that the working fluid has a constant specific heat throughout the entire cycle, while the Non-Isentropic Diesel Cycle takes into account the variable specific heat. This makes the Non-Isentropic model more realistic and accurate, but also more complex to analyze.

Can the Non-Isentropic Diesel Cycle be applied to all diesel engines?

Yes, the Non-Isentropic Diesel Cycle can be applied to all diesel engines as it takes into account the non-ideal conditions that are present in any engine. However, the level of complexity and accuracy may vary depending on the specific engine and its operating conditions.