Cooling of sphere with pseudo steady state condition

In summary, the temperature profile around the sphere is uniform and stays at the same temperature as the sphere.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A hot solid sphere of initial radius ##a## with a uniform initial temperature ##T_{0}## is allowed to
cool under stagnant air at ambient temperature, ##T_{\infty}## . Assume the temperature within
the sphere is uniform throughout the cooling process. Show that under pseudo-steady
state conditions, the temperature of the solid sphere decreases with time according to
[tex]T - T_{\infty} = (T_{0} - T_{\infty}) \hspace{0.05 in} exp \Big( - \frac {3kt}{\rho C_{p} a^2} \Big)[/tex]
where ##k## is the thermal conductivity of the surrounding air and ##\rho## and ##C_{p}## are the
density and specific heat of the solid sphere, respectively.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do a general energy balance on the sphere,
[tex] \frac {dE}{dt} = \dot Q_{in} - \dot Q_{out} + \dot Q_{gen} + \dot W_{s} [/tex]
I assume that there is no heat generation, no shaft work, and that no heat enters the sphere
[tex] \rho V C_{p} \frac {dT}{dt} = - \dot Q_{out} [/tex]
From Newton's Law of cooling,
[tex] \dot Q_{out} = h_{\infty}A (T - T_{\infty}) [/tex]
[tex] \rho V C_{p} \frac {dT}{dt} = -h_{\infty}A (T - T_{\infty}) [/tex]
[tex] \frac {dT}{dt} + \frac {h_{\infty}A}{\rho V C_{p}} (T - T_{\infty}) = 0 [/tex]
Now that the assumption is pseudo steady state, I say ##\frac {dT}{dt} = 0##, so I end up with
[tex] \frac {h_{\infty}A}{\rho V C_{p}} (T - T_{\infty}) = 0 [/tex]
And from here, I have no idea how I will be able to get the expression that I am supposed to derive now that I have no derivative to integrate and use boundary conditions to derive the expression.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
[tex] \frac {dT}{dt} + \frac {h_{\infty}A}{\rho V C_{p}} (T - T_{\infty}) = 0 [/tex]
Now that the assumption is pseudo steady state, I say ##\frac {dT}{dt} = 0##, so I end up with
[tex] \frac {h_{\infty}A}{\rho V C_{p}} (T - T_{\infty}) = 0 [/tex]
Pseudo-steady-state does not mean that dT/dt= 0. If it did the cottonpicker would never cool down!

Solve your diff. eq.

Alright, so then to continue with my derivation,
$$\frac {dT}{dt} + \frac {h_{\infty}A}{\rho V C_{p}} (T - T_{\infty}) = 0$$
I define ##\theta = T - T_{\infty}##, and the boundary condition at ##t = 0## is ##\theta_{0} = T_{0} - T_{\infty}##. Then I take the derivative of theta with respect to time, ##\frac {d \theta}{dt} = \frac {dT}{dt}##
$$\frac {d \theta}{dt} + \frac {h_{\infty}A}{\rho V C_{p}} \theta = 0$$
$$\int \frac {d \theta}{\theta} = - \frac {h_{\infty}A}{\rho V C_{p}} \int dt$$
$$ln \hspace{0.05 in} \theta = - \frac {h_{\infty}A}{\rho V C_{p}}t + C$$
Using my boundary condition, I find ##C = ln(T_{0} - T_{\infty})##. I then subtract to the LHS of the equation and get
$$ln \hspace{0.05 in} \Big(\frac {T - T_{\infty}}{T_{0} - T_{\infty}} \Big) = - \frac {h_{\infty}A}{\rho V C_{p}} t$$
I know the characteristic length for a sphere, ##L_{c} = V/A = a/3##. So I substitute and get
$$ln \hspace{0.05 in} \Big(\frac {T - T_{\infty}}{T_{0} - T_{\infty}} \Big) = - \frac {3h_{\infty}}{\rho C_{p}a} t$$
Now, somehow I need to get rid of the heat transfer coefficient, ##h_{\infty}## using the pseudo steady state condition. So I use Fourier's Law at the interface of the sphere and air,
$$\dot Q_{out} = -kA \frac {dT}{dr} \bigg |_{r=a}$$
$$ h_{\infty}A(T - T_{\infty}) = -kA \frac {dT}{dr} \bigg |_{r=a}$$
However, I don't know what the derivative at r = a will be

Last edited:
They're trying to get you to use the steady state heat conduction solution for a sphere immersed in an infinite medium to get the heat transfer coefficient to the air.

Suppose you have a sphere at a constant surface temperature T* immersed in an infinite medium of thermal conductivity k, and suppose that the temperature far from the sphere is T. What is the steady state heat conduction temperature profile surrounding the sphere?

Chet

Okay, so I will do another energy balance at the surface
$$ \frac {dE}{dt} = \dot Q_{r} - \dot Q_{r + \Delta r} + \dot e_{gen}A \Delta r + \dot W_{s} $$
Assume no work is done,
$$ \rho \hat C_{p} A \Delta r \frac {dT}{dr} = \dot Q_{r} - \dot Q_{r + \Delta r} + \dot e_{gen}A \Delta r $$
$$ \rho \hat C_{p} \frac {dT}{dt} = - \frac {1}{A} \frac {d}{dr} \Big( -kA \frac {dT}{dr} \Big) + \dot e_{gen} $$
Assume no heat generation and steady state,
$$ \frac {d}{dr} \Big(4 \pi k r^2 \frac {dT}{dr} \Big) = 0 $$
$$ 4 \pi k r^2 \frac {dT}{dr} = C_{1} $$
I know at ##r = 0##, then ##\frac {dT}{dr} = 0##, therefore ##C_{1} = 0##
$$ k(4 \pi r^2) \frac {dT}{dr} = 0 $$
So I guess the temperature profile is T(r) = constant.

Maylis said:
Okay, so I will do another energy balance at the surface
$$ \frac {dE}{dt} = \dot Q_{r} - \dot Q_{r + \Delta r} + \dot e_{gen}A \Delta r + \dot W_{s} $$
Assume no work is done,
$$ \rho \hat C_{p} A \Delta r \frac {dT}{dr} = \dot Q_{r} - \dot Q_{r + \Delta r} + \dot e_{gen}A \Delta r $$
$$ \rho \hat C_{p} \frac {dT}{dt} = - \frac {1}{A} \frac {d}{dr} \Big( -kA \frac {dT}{dr} \Big) + \dot e_{gen} $$
Assume no heat generation and steady state,
$$ \frac {d}{dr} \Big(4 \pi k r^2 \frac {dT}{dr} \Big) = 0 $$
I know at ##r = 0##, then ##\frac {dT}{dr} = 0##, therefore ##C_{1} = 0##
$$ k(4 \pi r^2) \frac {dT}{dr} = 0 $$
So I guess the temperature profile is T(r) = constant.
No. You should be integrating over the region from "a" to infinity (the "stagnant" air). The key word is stagnant.

Chet

Okay, so I get down to
So then at ##r = \infty##, ##\frac {dT}{dr} = 0## and ##T = T_{\infty}##, therefore ##C_{1} = 0##. So then this reduces to
$$ 4 \pi k \int dT = C_{1} \int \frac {dr}{r^2} $$
$$ 4 \pi k T = C_{1} \Big (- \frac {1}{r} \Big) + C_{2} $$
I use my boundary conditions, at ##r = \infty##, ##T = T_{\infty}##
$$ 4 \pi k T_{\infty} = C_{1} \Big (- \frac {1}{\infty} \Big) + C_{2} $$
Therefore ##C_{2} = 4 \pi k T_{\infty}##. So now I have
$$ 4 \pi k (T - T_{\infty}) = C_{1} \Big (- \frac {1}{r} \Big) $$
$$ T = \frac {C_{1}}{4 \pi k} \Big(\frac {-1}{r} \Big) + T_{\infty} $$
$$ \frac {dT}{dr} = \frac {C_{1}}{4 \pi k} \Big(\frac {1}{r^2} \Big) $$
For my condition ##r = \infty##, ##\frac {dT}{dr} = 0##,
$$ 0 = \frac {C_{1}}{4 \pi k} \Big(\frac {1}{\infty^2} \Big) $$
This just leads me nowhere, it gives ##C_{1} = 0## and therefore ##T = T_{\infty}##, as if T is not a function of radius at all.

Last edited:
The other boundary condition is T = T* at r = a.

I get:

[tex]T=T_∞+(T^*-T_∞)\frac{a}{r}[/tex]

where T* is the instantaneous temperature at the surface of the sphere. The T here is the temperature of the air, not the temperature of the sphere. What you called T in your earlier equations is what I call T* here. From this equation, you should be able to derive the heat transfer coefficient h. What do you get?

Chet

Likes gfd43tg
I got ##h_{\infty} = \frac {k}{a}##, so now I get the expression. I was able to redo my derivation and get the same expression you derived. Thanks a lot!

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the cooling rate of a sphere in pseudo steady state condition?

The cooling rate of a sphere in pseudo steady state condition is determined by the temperature difference between the sphere and its surroundings, the thermal conductivity of the sphere's material, and the surface area of the sphere.

2. How long does it take for a sphere to reach pseudo steady state cooling?

The time it takes for a sphere to reach pseudo steady state cooling depends on the size and material of the sphere, as well as the temperature difference between the sphere and its surroundings. Generally, it takes several times the thermal time constant of the sphere for it to reach pseudo steady state cooling.

3. Can the cooling rate of a sphere be increased in pseudo steady state condition?

Yes, the cooling rate of a sphere can be increased in pseudo steady state condition by increasing the temperature difference between the sphere and its surroundings, and by using materials with higher thermal conductivity.

4. How does the shape of a sphere affect its cooling rate in pseudo steady state condition?

The shape of a sphere does not significantly affect its cooling rate in pseudo steady state condition, as long as the surface area remains constant. However, a larger surface area would result in a higher cooling rate due to more heat transfer to the surroundings.

5. What is the significance of pseudo steady state condition in cooling of a sphere?

Pseudo steady state condition is important in the cooling of a sphere because it allows for a simplified analysis of the cooling process by assuming that the temperature difference between the sphere and its surroundings remains constant. This simplification makes it easier to calculate the cooling rate and predict the temperature of the sphere at a given time.