1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-least squares regression

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    I'm doing some line fitting on experimental data. Basically I have some array of pixels, and a value measured at each pixel, and I am fitting it with several constrained Gaussians. I'm using a Levenburg-Marquadt nonlinear least squares algorithm called mpfit to fit the parameters, but the results aren't so good due to the existence of background signals in the data.

I'm thinking I could do a better fit using a different "metric" for computing goodness of fit than sum(chi squared error). I want the difference between the model function and the data to be small over many pixels, but not necessarily all of the pixels. That is, I prefer a fit that matches 10 out of 30 pixels very well (but 20 pixels very poorly) over a fit that fits all 30 pixels in a mediocre way. Has anything like this been done before? I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2012 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook