Non-negativity of the eigenvalues of the Dirac operator

In summary, the conversation revolves around proving that the eigenvalues of the operator ## i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu ## are non-negative. The participants discuss various approaches, such as using the ansatz ## \psi=u(p) e^{ip_\nu x^\nu} ## and playing with the properties of gamma matrices, but ultimately conclude that the eigenvalues should be non-negative because the Dirac equation is ## i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu\psi=m \psi ## and the eigenvalue of the operator is the mass of the Dirac field. The conversation also touches on the idea that negative eigenvalues would not make sense and would violate causality.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
How can I prove that the eigenvalues of the operator ## i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu ## are non-negative?
I've tried using the ansatz ## \psi=u(p) e^{ip_\nu x^\nu} ## but it didn't help.
I've also tried playing with the equation using the properties of gamma matrices but that doesn't seem to lead anywhere too.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
Why would it not have negative EVs? [I am sorry for asking this but I am trying to see the motivation]
I think its because the Dirac equation is ## i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu\psi=m \psi ## and so the eigenvalue of that operator is the mass of the Dirac field, so it should be non-negative.

This was given to one of my friends to prove and she asked me for help, so I don't know what was the motivation.

So OK:
[itex] i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \psi = a \psi[/itex]
[itex] [i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu - a] \psi =0[/itex]
Now the eigenvalues can be found by solving:
[itex] det[i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu - a \textbf{1}] =0[/itex]
?
I have never tried that...
But I think the expression is obtained much more easily by the ansatzes taken while deriving the Dirac equation.

That's a differential operator so you can't just cancel the Dirac spinor.

Shyan said:
That's a differential operator so you can't just cancel the Dirac spinor.
try just write it as the momentum...

ChrisVer said:
try just write it as the momentum...
As I said in the OP, I tried the ansatz ## \psi=u(p) e^{i p_\nu x^\nu} ##, but it doesn't help because you'll get a quadratic equation in m which has both negative and positive solutions.

how do you get a quadratic term by differentiating once the exponential?

[itex] i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu u(p) e^{i p x} = a u(p)e^{ipx}[/itex]
[itex] - \gamma^\mu p_\mu u(p) e^{ipx} = a u(p) e^{ipx}[/itex]
[itex] (a + \slash{p} ) u(p) e^{ipx} = 0[/itex]
so just try the determinant of the matrix on the left?

ChrisVer said:
so just try the determinant of the matrix on the left?
And that's exactly what gives you the quadratic equation! (Actually its fourth order, but you can solve it to get a quadratic equation.)

In fact the more I think of it, the more I tend to say that by construction there is no reason to have positive EVs...
It's again coming from the fact that negative masses wouldn't make much sense and would violate causality...
And then, the rest comes from the way we derive the Dirac equation, by using the [itex]E^2= p^2+m^2[/itex] where [itex]m^2>0[/itex].

I guess I would expect the operator, ##i\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu## to have a sign symmetric spectrum. Is there a reason to think otherwise? Take the special case ##v_ne^{-i\omega t}## where ##v_n## is an eigen vector of ##\gamma_t##. Both signs occur.

Likes ShayanJ

1. What is the Dirac operator and why is it important?

The Dirac operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions in the quantum world.

2. What does it mean for the eigenvalues of the Dirac operator to be non-negative?

A non-negative eigenvalue means that the possible values of an observable quantity (such as energy) are always equal to or greater than zero. In other words, the eigenvalues of the Dirac operator tell us the minimum amount of energy a particle can have in a given system.

3. How does the non-negativity of the eigenvalues of the Dirac operator relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The non-negativity of the eigenvalues of the Dirac operator is related to this principle because it helps us understand the range of possible values for these quantities and the limits of our knowledge about them.

4. Can the eigenvalues of the Dirac operator ever be negative?

No, the eigenvalues of the Dirac operator are always non-negative. This is a mathematical property that has been proven and has important implications for the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

5. How does the non-negativity of the eigenvalues of the Dirac operator impact our understanding of the universe?

The non-negativity of the eigenvalues of the Dirac operator is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. It helps us make predictions and calculations about the quantum world and is essential for our understanding of the universe as a whole.