Non-Physics Books for Physicists?

In summary: I have not read Lolita. Are you sure you want to recommend it? It's a book that's been banned because of its content.you're insane if you haven't read it.I have not read Lolita. Are you sure you want to recommend it? It's a book that's been banned because of its content.
h0dgey84bc
As the title says ^...Just trying to get some literary inspiration!

Physics news on Phys.org
"The Double Helix" by Watson and Crick, for historical reason.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - for your own self-exploration

"Devil in the White City" - It is THE best non-fiction book that I've ever read. If you're a Chicagoan, or curious about the city, this is a book for you.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
"The Double Helix" by Watson and Crick, for historical reason.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - for your own self-exploration

"Devil in the White City" - It is THE best non-fiction book that I've ever read. If you're a Chicagoan, or curious about the city, this is a book for you.

Zz.

I second Devil in the White City. (Erik Larson)

About the time I read that I was also on a Simon Winchester kick:
The Professor and the Madman
The Map that Changed the World

Not sure exactly what is meant by "non-physics", but you should check out The Second Creation by Crease & Mann - it's a fascinating read.

The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan, if you're interested in fantasy.

If not, a good Grisham novel is always nice :D

Riogho said:
The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan, if you're interested in fantasy.

If not, a good Grisham novel is always nice :D

Warning: The Wheel of Time series is more of a Romance novel with elements of fantasy. Read the first 3 and call it good.

I am currently working on the Camolud series by Jack Whyte. A bit long but has some good history.

Some sort of chemistry or math book perhaps?

Read biographies on musicians.

If youre into fantasy, then check out the Eragon series. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence is brilliant. I just bought that book for my mom. Read Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It THE best book I've read.

Books that are not about physics?! Blasphemy!

Yeah, i like WoT, too bad about the author though.

Razzle

CO2 and the sac by john bunion

the foundation series is good.

Neal stephenson- Cryptomnicon or if you have a spare month , The Baroque Cycle

If you've not read it you must read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.

lol no one reads classical literature anymore?

crime and punishment
david copperfield
pride and prejudice
don quixote

black literature?

black boy
uncle tom's cabin
autobiography malcom x

shakespeare?
dante?
goethe?

classics > *

but if you must read contemporary fiction then read:

lolita by nabokov

but read it very very slowly as the diction is exquisite and is to be savored.

40+ ebony

ice109 said:
lol no one reads classical literature anymore?
don quixote

I read Don Quixote recently. Not being familiar with the "history of knight errantry", the bible, or much of Spanish history I was unfortunately unable to understand most of the more intellectual material. That left me primarily with the toilet humour and slapstick which I did not much care for. It was tough going with lots of footnotes to read. Not a book I would recommend to anyone less than a bibliophile.

Dumas and Poe are my only real favourite classic writers. I think all of my others lived into the 20th century.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I read Don Quixote recently. Not being familiar with the "history of knight errantry", the bible, or much of Spanish history I was unfortunately unable to understand most of the more intellectual material. That left me primarily with the toilet humour and slapstick which I did not much care for. It was tough going with lots of footnotes to read. Not a book I would recommend to anyone less than a bibliophile.

Dumas and Poe are my only real favourite classic writers. I think all of my others lived into the 20th century.
IMO the best book of that sort of genre would be John Bunyan's - The Pilgrim's Progress. Although written in the 17th C it is still very readable.

I tried reading lolita. You're right, the book is brilliant where its prose is concerned, but after a point I just couldn't bring myself to pick it up. The matter it deals with disturbs me in a way I can't quite figure out. The initial parts were all right, but when they start touring america...

chaoseverlasting said:
I tried reading lolita. You're right, the book is brilliant where its prose is concerned, but after a point I just couldn't bring myself to pick it up. The matter it deals with disturbs me in a way I can't quite figure out. The initial parts were all right, but when they start touring america...

you're insane

1. What are some non-physics books that are recommended for physicists?

Some popular non-physics books that are recommended for physicists include "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, and "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin.

2. How can reading non-physics books benefit physicists?

Reading non-physics books can help expand a physicist's knowledge and understanding of different subjects and perspectives. It can also improve critical thinking skills and creativity, which are essential for problem-solving in physics.

3. Are there any specific genres of non-physics books that are particularly beneficial for physicists?

Biographies and autobiographies of famous scientists, philosophy and history of science books, and popular science books are all genres that can be beneficial for physicists. These books can provide insights into the lives and thought processes of scientists, as well as the development and impact of scientific theories and discoveries.

4. Can non-physics books help improve a physicist's communication skills?

Yes, reading non-physics books can improve a physicist's communication skills. Non-physics books often use more accessible language and can help physicists learn how to explain complex concepts in simpler terms. Additionally, reading a variety of genres can also expand a physicist's vocabulary and writing style.

5. Are there any non-physics books that can help with personal and professional development for physicists?

Yes, books on leadership, time management, and productivity can be beneficial for physicists looking to improve their personal and professional skills. Examples of such books include "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey, "Getting Things Done" by David Allen, and "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.