Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Physics Books for Physicists?

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1
    As the title says ^...Just trying to get some literary inspiration!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"The Double Helix" by Watson and Crick, for historical reason.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" - for your own self-exploration

"Devil in the White City" - It is THE best non-fiction book that I've ever read. If you're a Chicagoan, or curious about the city, this is a book for you.

4. Dec 2, 2008 #3
    I second Devil in the White City. (Erik Larson)

About the time I read that I was also on a Simon Winchester kick:
    The Professor and the Madman
    The Map that Changed the World
  5. Dec 2, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure exactly what is meant by "non-physics", but you should check out The Second Creation by Crease & Mann - it's a fascinating read.
  6. Dec 2, 2008 #5
    The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan, if you're interested in fantasy.

If not, a good Grisham novel is always nice :D
  7. Dec 2, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Warning: The Wheel of Time series is more of a Romance novel with elements of fantasy. Read the first 3 and call it good.

I am currently working on the Camolud series by Jack Whyte. A bit long but has some good history.
  8. Dec 2, 2008 #7
    Some sort of chemistry or math book perhaps?
  9. Dec 3, 2008 #8
    Read biographies on musicians.
  10. Dec 3, 2008 #9
    If youre into fantasy, then check out the Eragon series. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence is brilliant. I just bought that book for my mom. Read Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It THE best book Ive read.
  11. Dec 3, 2008 #10
    Books that are not about physics?! Blasphemy!

Yeah, i like WoT, too bad about the author though.
  12. Dec 3, 2008 #11

13. Dec 3, 2008 #12

Gold Member

CO2 and the sac by john bunion
  14. Dec 3, 2008 #13
    the foundation series is good.
  15. Dec 3, 2008 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Neal stephenson- Cryptomnicon or if you have a spare month , The Baroque Cycle
  16. Dec 5, 2008 #15
    If you've not read it you must read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.
  17. Dec 5, 2008 #16
    lol no one reads classical literature anymore?

crime and punishment
    david copperfield
    pride and prejudice
    don quixote

black literature?

black boy
    uncle tom's cabin
    autobiography malcom x

classics > *

but if you must read contemporary fiction then read:

lolita by nabokov

but read it very very slowly as the diction is exquisite and is to be savored.
  18. Dec 5, 2008 #17

40+ ebony
  19. Dec 5, 2008 #18
    I read Don Quixote recently. Not being familiar with the "history of knight errantry", the bible, or much of Spanish history I was unfortunately unable to understand most of the more intellectual material. That left me primarily with the toilet humour and slapstick which I did not much care for. It was tough going with lots of footnotes to read. Not a book I would recommend to anyone less than a bibliophile.

Dumas and Poe are my only real favourite classic writers. I think all of my others lived into the 20th century.
  20. Dec 5, 2008 #19

IMO the best book of that sort of genre would be John Bunyan's - The Pilgrim's Progress. Although written in the 17th C it is still very readable.
  21. Dec 5, 2008 #20
    I tried reading lolita. You're right, the book is brilliant where its prose is concerned, but after a point I just couldnt bring myself to pick it up. The matter it deals with disturbs me in a way I cant quite figure out. The initial parts were all right, but when they start touring america...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?