Nonlinear second order ODE describing a force field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from the AP Physics C 1995 test involving a potential energy curve and the equation F=-\frac{dU}{dx}, where a and b are constants. The problem requires solving a non-linear ODE, which the person does not have the skills to do. They attempted to use the standard trick of d2x/dt2 = v dv/dx, but were unable to solve the equation. They also mention trying Wolfram, but did not receive a solution.
thetasaurus
Not sure if this topic belongs here, but here goes.

Homework Statement

From the AP physics C 1995 test there is a problem that gives the potential energy curve U(x). With [itex]F=-\frac{dU}{dx}[/itex] in one variable,

[itex]F(x)=-\frac{a}{b}+\frac{ba}{x^{2}}[/itex]

Where a and b are constants. Now I need to get x(t)

Homework Equations

Dividing by mass and multiplying by x^2:

[itex]x^2\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-\frac{ax^2}{mb}+\frac{ba}{m}[/itex]

Unfortunately I do not have the skills to solve this differential equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]x=y, \frac{-a}{mb}=b, \frac{ba}{m}=k, y'=u[/itex]

[itex]y^2y''=by^2+k[/itex]

I tried to eliminate the y'':

[itex]y'dt=udt[/itex]

[itex]\int{y'dt}=\int{udt}[/itex]

[itex]y=ut+C[/itex]And that doesn't really get me anywhere. Anyone with knowledge of nonlinear ODEs care to help? I tried Wolfram, but even with my Pro free trial it took to much computing time and never gave me a solution.

Also since this wasn't required of the problem per se, and I just want to solve this, I'm not sure what forum it should be in.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi thetasaurus! :smile:

try the standard trick (from the chain rule) …

d2x/dt2 = v dv/dx (where v = dx/dt)

(btw, that's where 1/2 mv2 comes from :wink:)

1. What is a nonlinear second order ODE?

A nonlinear second order ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a dependent variable and its derivatives. In this case, it describes the behavior of a force field.

2. What is the significance of a second order ODE in describing a force field?

A second order ODE is significant because it takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force, making it a more accurate representation of a force field. It also allows for the prediction of the behavior of particles within the force field.

3. How is a nonlinear second order ODE different from a linear second order ODE?

A linear second order ODE has a constant coefficient, while a nonlinear second order ODE has a variable coefficient. This means that the strength and direction of the force in a nonlinear ODE can change depending on the position and velocity of the particle, while in a linear ODE, it remains constant.

4. How can we solve a nonlinear second order ODE describing a force field?

Solving a nonlinear second order ODE can be challenging and often requires numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods involve breaking down the ODE into smaller steps and using iterative calculations to approximate the solution.

5. What real-world applications use nonlinear second order ODEs to describe force fields?

Nonlinear second order ODEs are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They are commonly used to describe gravitational and electromagnetic force fields, as well as fluid dynamics and structural mechanics.