Nonlinear transformer model for simulation in LTSpice

In summary, a nonlinear transformer model is a simulation tool used in LTSpice that allows for accurate modeling of transformers with nonlinear magnetic cores. This model takes into account the hysteresis and saturation effects of the core, resulting in more realistic and precise simulations of transformer behavior. It is particularly useful for designing and analyzing power electronics circuits, as well as for predicting the performance of transformers under different operating conditions. By incorporating the nonlinear transformer model into LTSpice simulations, engineers and researchers can gain a better understanding of transformer behavior and optimize their designs for maximum efficiency and performance.
alan123hk
I am looking for a comprehensive nonlinear transformer model, which should be available free, readily available for simulation in LTSpice and able to take account of various factors of nonlinear transformer including hysteresis characteristic, skin and proximity effect, leakage inductance, hysteresis loss and eddy current loss...etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
alan123hk said:
I am looking for a comprehensive nonlinear transformer model, which should be available free, readily available for simulation in LTSpice and able to take account of various factors of nonlinear transformer including hysteresis characteristic, skin and proximity effect, leakage inductance, hysteresis loss and eddy current loss...etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What have you found in your searches so far? Can you post some of the models that come the closest to what you want?

Personally, I usually use behavioral sources against the ideal model to just directly implement whatever system of equations (obviously there are multiple options with various trade-offs) you plan to use to model the transformer. I find that easiest.

Note: A b-source can even take derivatives and integrals, etc.
http://ltwiki.org/?title=B_sources_(complete_reference)

If you prefer a schematic based approach to build up the model you'll likely find this link helpful.
http://ltwiki.org/?title=Transformers

Likes alan123hk and berkeman
berkeman said:
What have you found in your searches so far? Can you post some of the models that come the closest to what you want?

I have found several nonlinear transformer spice models. They are good and very similar. This is an example below.
http://www.beigebag.com/case_xfrmer_1.htm

However, I still hope to be more comprehensive, easier to use, and more importantly based on the existing nonlinear inductor model in LTspice. This helps simplify the simulation preparation in LTspice

eq1 said:
Personally, I usually use behavioral sources against the ideal model to just directly implement whatever system of equations (obviously there are multiple options with various trade-offs) you plan to use to model the transformer. I find that easiest.

Note: A b-source can even take derivatives and integrals, etc.
http://ltwiki.org/?title=B_sources_(complete_reference)

If you prefer a schematic based approach to build up the model you'll likely find this link helpful.
http://ltwiki.org/?title=Transformers

This is exactly what I am looking for.
thank you for your help.

Likes berkeman
Google "ferrite cores Pspice". You will find actual model data for a large number of commercial ferrite cores.

1. What is a nonlinear transformer model?

A nonlinear transformer model is a mathematical representation of a transformer that takes into account the nonlinear characteristics of the transformer's core material. This model is used in LTSpice, a simulation software, to accurately simulate the behavior of a transformer in a circuit.

2. Why is a nonlinear transformer model necessary for simulation?

A nonlinear transformer model is necessary because the core material of a transformer exhibits nonlinear behavior when subjected to varying magnetic fields. This behavior affects the transformer's inductance and can significantly impact the performance of a circuit. Using a linear transformer model in simulation may result in inaccurate results.

3. How is a nonlinear transformer model implemented in LTSpice?

In LTSpice, a nonlinear transformer model can be implemented by using the "K" statement and specifying the transformer's nonlinear inductance characteristics. This can be done by providing a table of inductance values at different input currents or by using an equation to describe the inductance as a function of input current.

4. Can a nonlinear transformer model be used for all types of transformers?

No, a nonlinear transformer model is typically used for transformers with a ferromagnetic core, such as iron or ferrite cores. Transformers with air cores or other non-ferromagnetic materials may not exhibit significant nonlinear behavior and can be accurately simulated using a linear model.

5. Are there any limitations to using a nonlinear transformer model in LTSpice?

One limitation of using a nonlinear transformer model in LTSpice is that it may increase the simulation time, as the software needs to solve for the nonlinear inductance values at each time step. Additionally, the accuracy of the model may also depend on the accuracy of the core material data used in the model.