Time and Space: Illusions or Truths?

• Thread starter RAD4921
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: Enough said :)In summary, according to this summary, quantum mechanics is the study of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is based on the theory that matter is composed of tiny particles called atoms. It is also based on the theory that particles can exist in two places at the same time (known as quantum nonlocality). The uncertainty principle states that one cannot measure simultaneously conjugate quantities, such as position and momentum. It has been demonstrated that quantum nonlocality cannot be harnessed for superluminal "communication". Finally, it has been suggested that in resolving the paradox of nonlocality, physicists glimpse into a deeper understanding of reality.
RAD4921
How can a particle be in two places at the same time? Is time and space an illusion? Does quantum nonlocality imply some type of faster than light transmission? How does physics resolve the paradox of nonlocality (if there is one)?
Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
In space, there's a particle and its anti-particle. I don't know much about what happens, but I know it is still theortical theory to explain our universe. has to do with quantum mechanics, and uncertain princibles.

i do know that scientist have a problem they can only do 2 things:
A) View a particle and position
B) View its spin

They can't do both. If they do choice A), then they don't know choice B). If they do choice B), they're uncertain of choice A).

This is called the Uncertainty Princible.

Its kind of like me when I was a kid, I was like 7.

When I opened my refrigerator door, I noticed a light in the 'frige came on.
When I shut the door, it went off. But I questioned myself, "Just because the door is closed, is the light still on?", I opened the 'frige again, sure enough, the light was on. I still couldn't believe it.

I questioned myself, "If I set up a camera, then truly, it would prove the light is always on.". And then I thought later, "No, wait. That wouldn't prove anything, what if the camera is somehow defective?"

I truly obessed over it. Finally, I came to the conculsion that perhaps what I'm seeing with my OWN eyes isn't real.

After all, there's a saying "Seeing is believing".

Einstein once made a statement:

"Reality is just a illusion, albeit, a very persistent one."
~Albert Einstein.

RAD4921 said:
How can a particle be in two places at the same time?
Why do you say "a" particle? ... It is still two particles ... isn't it? :confused:
______
Is time and space an illusion?
Here are the words of Bernard d'Espagnat in relation to such a question:
... we may be justified in suspecting that after all there is perhaps a sign of some great truth in the mismatch between the quantum rules and the notion of locality; a mismatch that keeps showing up in various aspects of physics. If this were the case, it would mean that we are wrong when we believe the notions we have of space, of time, of spacetime, of the positions of things and of events, are faithful descriptions of features possessed by independent reality.

... I feel inclined to consider that even spacetime (and locality, and events and so on) is a notion that owes much to the structure of our mind and that independent reality is in no way embedded in it.
______
Does quantum nonlocality imply some type of faster than light transmission?
It has been demonstrated (by Philippe Eberhard) that quantum nonlocality cannot be harnessed for superluminal "communication".
______
How does physics resolve the paradox of nonlocality (if there is one)?
I do not think it is a paradox. I think, however, in it we have a hint that within reality there exist 'interconnections' which we do not fully understand or appreciate.

QuantumTheory said:
i do know that scientist have a problem they can only do 2 things:
B) View its spin

They can't do both. If they do choice A), then they don't know choice B). If they do choice B), they're uncertain of choice A).

This is wrong. The, correctly named, indeterminacy principle, states that one cannot measure simultaneously conjugate quantities. Spin and position are not conjugate to each other. Position along x and momentum in the direction of x are conjugate. Energy is conjugate to time.

What exactly do YOU mean by "a particle"? It's not at all clear that one can talk about individual particles in quantum physics.

My opinion is that quantum non-locality is the illusion. And quantum teleportation is too. In this case we measure two objects, which non-interacted but this two objects is correlated due to the unknown reason. For example we can take two coherent (or synchronized) oscillators. We can measure its only. And can change the coefficient of correlation. When we measure the first object we know information about second because its objects is correlated. But when we measure the first we cannot change the second. Nothing magic we have not in quantum non-locality. It is correlation only. Yes, the reason of the correlation is unknown.

Last edited:
QuantumTheory said:
In space, there's a particle and its anti-particle. I don't know much about what happens, but I know it is still theortical theory to explain our universe. has to do with quantum mechanics, and uncertain princibles.

Expressing an own opinion based on a truncated/inexact perception of things is something typical to phylosophers,and not to scientists.Perhaps your (user)name would signify "Yo,guys,i don't know s*** about QM,but i surely as hell would like to give you an idea about what i think it's going on with that theory".And to do that,u've chosen a rather delicate matter:the interpretation of the Uncertainty Principle (sic).

I would advise you to get a grip on QM,maybe read something ( :rolleyes: ) and then u can come to teach us about your way of perceiving QM.

QuantumTheory said:
I do know that scientist have a problem they can only do 2 things:
B) View its spin

You are placing those magnificient words in the wrong forum.Maybe they would do better in the one with "cranks".

QuantumTheory said:
"Reality is just a illusion, albeit, a very persistent one."
~Albert Einstein.

Maybe Einstein meant:"Knowledge is an illusion,albeit,a very persistent one".

DANIEL.

PS.Don't get me wrong,u're welcome to post in this forum,after all,even serious guys like us need some reasons to laugh from time to time. :rofl:

What is nonlocality in relation to time and space?

Nonlocality refers to the idea that events or particles can be connected or influenced by factors outside of traditional notions of time and space. This goes against our everyday understanding of cause and effect, where events are thought to be connected only by physical proximity and the passage of time.

How does nonlocality challenge traditional theories of time and space?

Nonlocality challenges traditional theories of time and space by suggesting that there may be hidden connections or influences between events and particles that are not explained by our current understanding of these concepts. This raises questions about the fundamental nature of reality and the limitations of our current understanding of time and space.

What evidence supports the existence of nonlocality?

There is evidence from various scientific experiments, such as quantum entanglement, that suggests the existence of nonlocality. These experiments have shown that particles can be connected in ways that cannot be explained by traditional notions of time and space, indicating the possibility of nonlocal interactions.

What are the implications of nonlocality for our understanding of the universe?

The implications of nonlocality for our understanding of the universe are significant. It suggests that there may be hidden connections and influences that go beyond our current understanding of cause and effect. This could potentially lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of reality and the interconnectedness of all things.

How is nonlocality being studied and researched in the scientific community?

Nonlocality is being studied and researched through various experiments, theories, and mathematical models in fields such as quantum mechanics, cosmology, and neuroscience. Scientists are also exploring the philosophical implications of nonlocality and its potential to challenge our current understanding of the universe.