Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlocality:Time and space

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1
    How can a particle be in two places at the same time? Is time and space an illusion? Does quantum nonlocality imply some type of faster than light transmission? How does physics resolve the paradox of nonlocality (if there is one)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2004 #2
    In space, theres a particle and its anti-particle. I don't know much about what happens, but I know it is still theortical theory to explain our universe. has to do with quantum mechanics, and uncertain princibles.

i do know that scientist have a problem they can only do 2 things:
    A) View a particle and position
    B) View its spin

They can't do both. If they do choice A), then they don't know choice B). If they do choice B), they're uncertain of choice A).

This is called the Uncertainty Princible.

Its kind of like me when I was a kid, I was like 7.

When I opened my refrigerator door, I noticed a light in the 'frige came on.
    When I shut the door, it went off. But I questioned myself, "Just because the door is closed, is the light still on?", I opened the 'frige again, sure enough, the light was on. I still couldn't believe it.

I questioned myself, "If I set up a camera, then truly, it would prove the light is always on.". And then I thought later, "No, wait. That wouldn't prove anything, what if the camera is somehow defective?"

I truly obessed over it. Finally, I came to the conculsion that perhaps what I'm seeing with my OWN eyes isn't real.

After all, theres a saying "Seeing is believing".

Einstein once made a statement:

"Reality is just a illusion, albeit, a very persistant one."
    ~Albert Einstein.
  4. Dec 15, 2004 #3
    Why do you say "a" particle? ... It is still two particles ... isn't it? :confused:
    Here are the words of Bernard d'Espagnat in relation to such a question:
    It has been demonstrated (by Philippe Eberhard) that quantum nonlocality cannot be harnessed for superluminal "communication".
    I do not think it is a paradox. I think, however, in it we have a hint that within reality there exist 'interconnections' which we do not fully understand or appreciate.
  5. Dec 15, 2004 #4
    This is wrong. The, correctly named, indeterminacy principle, states that one cannot measure simultaneously conjugate quantities. Spin and position are not conjugate to each other. Position along x and momentum in the direction of x are conjugate. Energy is conjugate to time.
  6. Dec 15, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What exactly do YOU mean by "a particle"? It's not at all clear that one can talk about individual particles in quantum physics.
  7. Dec 15, 2004 #6
    My opinion is that quantum non-locality is the illusion. And quantum teleportation is too. In this case we measure two objects, which non-interacted but this two objects is correlated due to the unknown reason. For example we can take two coherent (or synchronized) oscillators. We can measure its only. And can change the coefficient of correlation. When we measure the first object we know information about second because its objects is correlated. But when we measure the first we cannot change the second. Nothing magic we have not in quantum non-locality. It is correlation only. Yes, the reason of the correlation is unknown.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  8. Dec 15, 2004 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Expressing an own opinion based on a truncated/inexact perception of things is something typical to phylosophers,and not to scientists.Perhaps your (user)name would signify "Yo,guys,i don't know s*** about QM,but i surely as hell would like to give you an idea about what i think it's going on with that theory".And to do that,u've chosen a rather delicate matter:the interpretation of the Uncertainty Principle (sic).

I would advise you to get a grip on QM,maybe read something ( :rolleyes: ) and then u can come to teach us about your way of perceiving QM.

You are placing those magnificient words in the wrong forum.Maybe they would do better in the one with "cranks".

Maybe Einstein meant:"Knowledge is an illusion,albeit,a very persistent one".

PS.Don't get me wrong,u're welcome to post in this forum,after all,even serious guys like us need some reasons to laugh from time to time. :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?