Noora's questions at Yahoo Answers regarding linear approximations

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation is about the user seeking help with two calculus problems involving approximations. The expert provides a detailed explanation and solution for both problems and offers to help with any other questions the user may have. The user expresses their gratitude and requests for further assistance on other calculus-related questions.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here are the questions:

Help with CALCULUS approximations PLEASE?!?

a) Using an appropriate linear approximation approximate (26.98)^(4/3)

b) Suppose a function is defines implicitly by ((x^2)(y^2)) - 3y = 2x^4 - 4. Find the approximate value of y where (x, y) starts as (1,1) and x changes from 1 to 1.1

THANK YOU!

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Noora,

a) Let's define:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=x^{\frac{4}{3}}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{4}{3}x^{\frac{1}{3}}\)

For a small $\Delta x$, we know:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\Delta f}{\Delta x}\approx\frac{df}{dx}\)

Multiplying through by $\Delta x$ and using $Delta f=f\left(x+\Delta x \right)-f(x)$ we have:

\(\displaystyle f\left(x+\Delta x \right)-f(x)=\frac{df}{dx}\Delta x\)

\(\displaystyle f\left(x+\Delta x \right)=\frac{df}{dx}\Delta x+f(x)\)

Now, choosing:

\(\displaystyle x=27,\,\Delta x=-0.02\)

and using our function definition, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle (26.98)^{\frac{4}{3}}\approx\frac{4}{3}(27)^{\frac{1}{3}}(-0.02)+(27)^{\frac{4}{3}}=81-0.08=80.92\)

b) We are given the implicit relation:

\(\displaystyle x^2y^2-3y=2x^4-4\)

Implicitly differentiating with respect to $x$, we find:

\(\displaystyle x^2\cdot2y\frac{dy}{dx}+2xy^2-3\frac{dy}{dx}=8x^3\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}\left(2x^2y-3 \right)=8x^3-2xy^2\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2x\left(4x^2-y^2 \right)}{2x^2y-3}\)

Now, for a small $\Delta x$, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\approx\frac{dy}{dx}\)

\(\displaystyle y\left(x+\Delta x \right)\approx\frac{dy}{dx}\cdot\Delta x+y(x)\)

Using the given:

\(\displaystyle (x,y)=(1,1),\,\Delta x=0.1\)

we find:

\(\displaystyle y(1.1)\approx\frac{2(1)\left(4(1)^2-(1)^2 \right)}{2(1)^2(1)-3}\cdot0.1+1=0.4\)

Thank you SO much for your time and help! Can you please help me out with my other calculus-related questions on yahoo answers that i posted recently? Thank you!

ayahouyee said:
Thank you SO much for your time and help! Can you please help me out with my other calculus-related questions on yahoo answers that i posted recently? Thank you!

You're welcome! I'm glad you joined us here! :D

I would recommend you post them here in our Calculus sub-forum. That would be much easier than for me to try to do a search for your topics at Yahoo. :D

Also being able to use $\LaTeX$ here makes for much more readable help.

Thanks! I just made a new thread with my questions :D

Related to Noora's questions at Yahoo Answers regarding linear approximations

1. What is a linear approximation?

A linear approximation is a method used to estimate the value of a function near a specific point by using a tangent line. It is also known as a tangent line approximation or a first-order approximation.

2. How is a linear approximation calculated?

A linear approximation is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line at the point of interest and using that slope to create an equation of the line. The equation is then used to estimate the value of the function at nearby points.

3. What is the purpose of using a linear approximation?

The purpose of using a linear approximation is to simplify a complex function and make it easier to work with by using a linear equation. It is also useful for making quick estimations of the function's value near a specific point without having to use more complex methods.

4. What are the limitations of using a linear approximation?

A linear approximation is only accurate near the point of interest. As the distance from the point increases, the accuracy of the approximation decreases. It also cannot accurately estimate values when the function has sharp curves or changes direction quickly.

5. How is a linear approximation used in real-world applications?

A linear approximation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to simplify complex models and make quick estimations. It can also be used to analyze data and make predictions based on trends and patterns.