Normal distribution probability question

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the middle 40% of scores on a normally distributed aptitude test with a mean of 500 and standard deviation of 100. The method involved using the formula p(x1≤x≤x2)=p(z1≤z≤z2) and finding the corresponding z-scores for the middle 40% using statistical tables. The result was a range of scores between 447.5 and 552.5. It was confirmed that this method was correct and the conversation concluded with a bonus for getting it right.
fobster
Got a question I need a little bit of help.

Assume the scores on an aptitude are normally distributed with mean=500 and standard deviation=100

What is the middle 40%?

My workings

p(x1≤x≤x2)=p(z1≤z≤z2)

=> p(z1≤z≤z2)=p(z≤z2)-p(z≥z1)=p(z≤z2)-[1-p(z≤z1)]

p(z≤z2)=0.7 p(z≤z1)=0.3
from statistical tables
=> z2= -0.525 z1= 0.525

z1=(x-500)/100=0.525 => x=500+52.5=552.5

z2=(x-500)/100=-0.525 => x=500-52.5=447.5

therefore the middle 40% is between 447.5 and 552.5.

Now my question. Is that the correct method and approach, it is a bonus if I got it right. I only want to check the method really. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's correct.

Normal distribution is given [tex]\frac 1 {\sigma \sqrt{\pi}} exp(-(x-\mu)^2/\sigma^2)[/tex], where [tex]\mu[/tex] is the mean and [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the standard deviation.

I looked at table and center 20% probability is (standard deviation)*(between 0.52 and 0.53)

So your calculation looks fine. :smile:

Last edited:

Your approach and method are correct. You correctly used the standard normal distribution and statistical tables to find the z-scores corresponding to the middle 40% of the distribution. Then, you used the formula for converting z-scores to raw scores to find the corresponding scores on the aptitude test. This is a valid and commonly used method for finding the middle percentage of a normal distribution. Good job!

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a type of probability distribution that is characterized by a symmetrical bell-shaped curve. It is also known as a Gaussian distribution.

What is the formula for calculating normal distribution probabilities?

The formula for calculating normal distribution probabilities is: P(x) = (1 / σ√(2π)) * e^(-(x-μ)^2 / 2σ^2), where μ is the mean, σ is the standard deviation, and e is the base of the natural logarithm.

How do you interpret the area under a normal distribution curve?

The area under a normal distribution curve represents the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values. This area is always equal to 1, or 100%.

What is the empirical rule for normal distribution?

The empirical rule states that for a normal distribution, approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within two standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within three standard deviations.

How do you use the standard normal distribution table?

The standard normal distribution table, also known as the z-table, is used to find the probability of a value falling below a certain point on a normal distribution curve. It is typically used in conjunction with the z-score, which is calculated by subtracting the mean from the value and dividing by the standard deviation.