Normal Force on Vertical Plane

In summary, a 70kg climber is supported in a "chimney" by friction forces on his back and shoes. The coefficients of static friction for his feet and back are 0.8 and 0.6 respectively. To keep from slipping, he must apply a minimum normal force of approximately 764 Newtons.
bueckerjl

Homework Statement

A 70kg climber is suppored in a "chimney" by the friction forces exerted on his back and shoes. The coeffcients of static friction of his feet against the wall and his back against the wall are 0.8 and 0.6 respectively. What is the minimum normal force he needs to apply to keep from slipping? Assume the walls are perfectly vertical and the the frictional forces are at impending slipping.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Ff(frictional force)=mu*n(normal force)
W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was calculated the frictional force for the feet and the back using Ff=mu*n
What I came up with was aprox 980Newtons. Then I figured that since static friction is only used as needed, I calculated the climber's weight and I came up with 686N.
That doesn't sound right to me. What am I messing up? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

How did you calculate the minimum frictional force without using the climber's weight?

bueckerjl said:
What I did was calculated the frictional force for the feet and the back using Ff=mu*n
What I came up with was aprox 980Newtons.
How can you calculate the friction force without knowing the normal force? (And the normal force is what you need to solve for.)
Then I figured that since static friction is only used as needed, I calculated the climber's weight and I came up with 686N.
Since the friction is just barely enough to prevent slipping, what must the friction force equal?

Welcome to PF!

bueckerjl said:
What is the minimum normal force he needs to apply to keep from slipping?

Hi bueckerjl! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Do problems like this one step at a time …

First step: What is the vertical force he needs to apply to keep from falling?

Second step: How will this vertical force be produced?

Your thoughts … ? :smile:

NO! Keep going! I need help on this problem. I'm stumped.
Ok so let's start over, For my example everything is the same but the guy is 78 kg
mu of the feet is 0.84 and mu for the back is 0.64.

I found mg = 764
So I need to make the vertical force resisting equal 764.
The vertical force is produce by pressing a normal force against each wall.
I don't know how to get there. I tried treating it as an inclined plane...but cos90 = 0 which means that friction is zero if friction = mu*N.

tbaskerv said:
I tried treating it as an inclined plane...but cos90 = 0 which means that friction is zero if friction = mu*N.

Why is that? This has nothing to do with planes.

You're basically there! Use the equation and you're done!

1. What is normal force on a vertical plane?

Normal force on a vertical plane is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, perpendicular to the surface. In simpler terms, it is the support force that keeps an object from falling through a surface.

2. How is normal force on a vertical plane calculated?

The normal force on a vertical plane is calculated using the formula F_n = m * g * cos(theta), where F_n is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of inclination of the plane.

3. Does the normal force change on a vertical plane?

Yes, the normal force can change on a vertical plane depending on the angle of inclination. As the angle of inclination increases, the normal force also increases, and vice versa.

4. What is the relationship between normal force and weight on a vertical plane?

The normal force and weight are equal in magnitude but act in opposite directions on a vertical plane. The normal force balances out the weight of an object, keeping it in equilibrium.

5. How does the normal force affect the motion of an object on a vertical plane?

The normal force plays a crucial role in the motion of an object on a vertical plane. It not only supports the object but also affects its acceleration. A greater normal force can increase the object's acceleration, while a smaller normal force can decrease it.