Finding Angular Velocity & Max Force on Vertical Track

In summary, the problem involves a motor traveling at a constant speed on a vertical circular track of radius 8m. The total mass of the motor is 210kg. The task is to compute the angular velocity at the top of the track and the maximum force on the track. The formula for calculating the angular velocity involves the normal force and the velocity of the motor. The normal force can have different values, such as positive, zero, or negative, depending on the state of the motor. However, in this scenario, the normal force cannot be negative. The motor must have enough velocity to "just" not fall down at the top of the track. Drawing a proper free body diagram is necessary to solve the problem accurately.
JOhnosn

Homework Statement

a motor traveling at a constant speed is just able to completely go round a vertical circular track of radius 8m The total mass of motor is 210kg

i)Compute the angular velocity at the top of the track
ii)compute the maximum force on the track

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that when the motor is at the top of the track the formula should be Fn+m(v^2/r) = mg
but i just can't found v.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement says "just able". What does that mean for Fn ?

CWatters said:
The problem statement says "just able". What does that mean for Fn ?
Fn=0 ? But why?

Fn is the normal force. Have a think about three different values for Fn and what it means for the car...

a) Fn > 0
b) Fn = 0
c) Fn < 0 (Can Fn be <0 in this situation?)

CWatters said:
Fn is the normal force. Have a think about three different values for Fn and what it means for the car...

a) Fn > 0
b) Fn = 0
c) Fn < 0 (Can Fn be <0 in this situation?)
I really had no idea about this :frown:

Imagine an empty party balloon sitting on a desk. The balloon exerts a force Fballoon on the desk, and the desk exerts a normal force FN on the balloon. The magnitude of these forces is the same...

|FBalloon| = |mg| = |FN|

where m is the mass of the balloon.

If you pump some hydrogen into the balloon FBalloon and FN will start to reduce.

What happens when FN reaches zero?

Can FN go negative? What would that mean?

Last edited:
CWatters said:
Imagine an empty party balloon sitting on a desk. The balloon exerts a force Fballoon on the desk, and the desk exerts a normal force FN on the balloon. The magnitude of these forces is the same...

|FBalloon| = |mg| = |FN|

where m is the mass of the balloon.

If you pump some hydrogen into the balloon FBalloon and FN will start to reduce.

What happens when FN reaches zero?

Can FN go negative? What would that mean?
When Fn = 0 means the ball is floating ?
If fn<0 mean the ball is falling down?

So in the question that "just able" means that the velocity of the motor is just enough to make the motor in the state of " floating" on the top ofthe track?

JOhnosn said:
So in the question that "just able" means that the velocity of the motor is just enough to make the motor in the state of " floating" on the top ofthe track?

On top of the track ??

I think you mean on the inside of the track. I assumed it was a loop like this..

It has to go fast enough that it "just" doesn't fall down at the top.

FN > 0 means the car is pressing against the track.

FN approaching 0 means the car is only just barely pressing against the track.

FN < 0 can't really happen in this situation because it implies the car is pulling downwards on the track. It could happen on a roller coaster as most modern coasters have retaining wheels to stop the carriage falling off the track if it stops upside down at the top of a loop. Normal road cars don't have these extra wheels.

JOhnosn said:
i know that when the motor is at the top of the track the formula should be Fn+m(v^2/r) = mg
but i just can't found v.
You are aware that this formula is supposed to be the result of applying Newton's second law to the motor as it is passing through the locations at the top of the track and at the bottom of the track, correct? Have you drawn a free body diagram on the motor at these locations and shown the forces acting on it? In your equation, if Fn is has a positive value at the top of the track, it implies that the normal force exerted by the track on the motor is acting upward. Are you aware of that? For the bottom of the track, your equation is incorrect, since it implies that the direction of the acceleration of the motor (upward) is in the same direction as g (downward). Were you aware of that? These difficulties are what happens when one does not draw a proper free body diagram for the problem.

Chet

Likes CWatters

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point. It is usually expressed in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle (θ) by the change in time (t): ω = θ/t. The units of angular velocity depend on the units of θ and t.

3. How do I find the maximum force on a vertical track?

The maximum force on a vertical track can be found by using the formula F = mω²r, where F is the maximum force, m is the mass of the object, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the track. This formula assumes that the object is moving in a circular path with constant angular velocity.

4. What factors affect angular velocity?

The factors that affect angular velocity include the size of the object, the distance from the center of rotation, and the speed at which the object is moving. In addition, any external forces acting on the object can also affect its angular velocity.

5. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. A negative angular velocity indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction compared to a positive angular velocity.