1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal, self-adjoint and positive definite operators

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    I have two questions:

1. Let V be a finite dimensional inner product space. Show that if U: V--->V is self-adjoint and T: V---->V is positive definite, then UT and TU are diagonalizable operators with only real eigenvalues.

2. Suppose T and U are normal operators on a finite dimensional complex inner product space V such that TU = UT

a) Show that UT* = T*U
    b) show that there is an orthonormal basis for V consisting of vectors that are eigenvectors for both T and U

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2
    What have you tried? We cannot help you before you have shown your work.

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3
    What do you know about positive, definite operators, and self-adjoint operators? Do you happen to know what field you're working with?

5. Dec 16, 2008 #4
    Regarding 1, I have tried to show that UT is self-adjoint with respect to the inner product <x,y>' = <T(x),y> but I've had trouble unwinding definitions.

Regarding 2a, I tried to show that if U commutes with T, then U commutes with T*. This corollary to the spectral theorem is useful: If F = C, T is normal iff T* = g(T) for some polynomial g, but I can't seem to make it work.

Regarding 2b, I am not sure where even to begin.

6. Dec 16, 2008 #5
    woah woah woah, don't forget the J in this if you don't know about that then you need a degree and if you've got one....
    you need another one

7. Dec 17, 2008 #6
    1. Let V be a finite dimensional inner product space. Show that if U: V--->V is self-adjoint and T: V---->V is positive definite, then UT and TU are diagonalizable operators with only real eigenvalues.

Well you know that U:V--->V is self-adjoint, and therefore has an orthonormal basis of eigenvectors... you know that T:V---->V is Positive, and therefore also self-adjoint, and must also have an orthonormal basis of eigenvectors.

I believe you could also show that UT and TU are Self-adjoint operators from Inner Product algebra.

<Uv,u>=<v,Uu>
    <Tv,u>=<v,Tu> and <Tv,v> > 0 for all v in V.
    <UTv,u>=<v,(UT)*u>
    <UTv,u>=<v,T*U*u>
    <UTv,u>=<v,TUu>

(UT)* = T*U*=TU
    (TU)*= U*T* = UT

Since U and T are both self-adjoint, TU=UT (Chose the orthonormal basis of eigenvectors, it's the product of the diagonal entries of the respective matrices, and diagonal matrices commute)

I hope that helps. (I might be mistaken, so if anything seems fishy let me know. I'm a freshman and just finished this stuff like three weeks ago... so yeah ;p)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?