Is this state description normalized?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether three given states are "legal" and, if not, normalizing them. The first state involves a summation and square root, leading to a normalization factor of ##\frac{1}{385}##. The second state involves different bases and the need to calculate the inner product to determine normalization. The third state involves an exponential and complex number, which is just a phase constant. The bases also matter in this state and one can either switch to a common base or directly calculate the norm of the state.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

These are rather simple questions but the rules for all of this are not quite clear to me yet. I'm to determine whether or not the following states are "legal" and if not I should normalize them.

a. ##\frac{1}{√385} ∑_{x=1}^{10}x^2 |x>##

b. ##\frac{1}{√2} |u_x>+\frac{1}{√2} |u_z>##

c.##e^{0.32i}(0.01|0>+0.25|1>+0.16|2>##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For a I believe I am correct in in simply squaring the fraction and the sum giving me a number much greater than 1 (≈385). So, in that case, the normalization factor 'N' would just be ##\frac{1}{385}## in order to make it 1.

For b my lack of understanding is obvious. At first glance I can see that the equation is normalized but the bases are not the same. In class we switch bases in this case but I don't know if I can say the equation is normalized as it is. Is this a legal description of the state that I can say is normalized or is it necessary to switch to common bases and introduce a normalization factor?

Lastly c, I believe is fine as it is. However, I just want to get confirmation on what the exponential actually is. So far in class we have ignored exponentials and the complex 'i'. Are these just some sort of phase constants?

Physics news on Phys.org
bowlbase said:

Homework Statement

These are rather simple questions but the rules for all of this are not quite clear to me yet. I'm to determine whether or not the following states are "legal" and if not I should normalize them.

a. ##\frac{1}{√385} ∑_{x=1}^{10}x^2 |x>##

b. ##\frac{1}{√2} |u_x>+\frac{1}{√2} |u_z>##

c.##e^{0.32i}(0.01|0>+0.25|1>+0.16|2>##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For a I believe I am correct in in simply squaring the fraction and the sum giving me a number much greater than 1 (≈385). So, in that case, the normalization factor 'N' would just be ##\frac{1}{385}## in order to make it 1.
What is the inner product between those kets? I assume it is ##\langle i|j\rangle = \delta_{ij}##? We need that info to help you.
Is is exactly equal to 385? Did you take into account the factor ##1/\sqrt{385}## in front?

For b my lack of understanding is obvious. At first glance I can see that the equation is normalized but the bases are not the same. In class we switch bases in this case but I don't know if I can say the equation is normalized as it is. Is this a legal description of the state that I can say is normalized or is it necessary to switch to common bases and introduce a normalization factor?
We need the inner product between these kets.

Lastly c, I believe is fine as it is. However, I just want to get confirmation on what the exponential actually is. So far in class we have ignored exponentials and the complex 'i'. Are these just some sort of phase constants?
It is just a complex phase, as in complex analysis. EDIT: what do you get for the inner product?

I guess I just assumed these were common.

##\langle u_z|u_x\rangle##
##|u_x\rangle=\frac{1}{√2} |u_z\rangle + \frac{1}{√2} |d_z\rangle##
##\frac{1}{√2}(\langle u_z|u_z\rangle) + \frac{1}{√2}((\langle u_z|d_z\rangle)##
##\frac{1}{√2}(1) + \frac{1}{√2}(0)##

So ##\langle u_z|u_x\rangle = \frac{1}{√2}##

For a the quantity of the sum times the sqrt = \frac{385}{√385}. Squared that is 385. So
##N(385)=1##

Sorry, for the last one I wasn't thinking. Going to look at it for a minute.

bowlbase said:
I guess I just assumed these were common.

##\langle u_z|u_x\rangle##
##|u_x\rangle=\frac{1}{√2} |u_z\rangle + \frac{1}{√2} |d_z\rangle##
##\frac{1}{√2}(\langle u_z|u_z\rangle) + \frac{1}{√2}((\langle u_z|d_z\rangle)##
##\frac{1}{√2}(1) + \frac{1}{√2}(0)##

So ##\langle u_z|u_x\rangle = \frac{1}{√2}##
Ah, they are spin components. ok. Then you have everything to calculate if it is normalized

For a the quantity of the sum times the sqrt = \frac{385}{√385}. Squared that is 385. So
##N(385)=1##

Sorry, for the last one I wasn't thinking. Going to look at it for a minute.

Ok, no problem!

So for the spin question, the bases do matter then? I just need to switch to a common base?

bowlbase said:
So for the spin question, the bases do matter then? I just need to switch to a common base?

Yes, the basis matters because the U's along different axes are not orthonormal. You have two choices: you may re-express everything in terms of one coordinate or, much faster, calculate directly the norm of your state. Since you worked out the inner product between ## | u_x \rangle ## and ## | u_z \rangle##, the calculation is only two lines.

Likes 1 person
okay, thanks. I think I understand now. I appreciate the help.

bowlbase said:
okay, thanks. I think I understand now. I appreciate the help.

You are welcome! :approve:

What is normalization of states?

Normalization of states is a process used in physics and other sciences to describe the state of a system in a consistent and standardized way. It involves assigning numerical values to different states of the system in order to compare and analyze them.

Why is normalization of states important?

Normalization of states is important because it allows scientists to accurately describe and compare the state of a system at different points in time or under different conditions. It also helps to eliminate any biases or inconsistencies in data analysis.

How is normalization of states performed?

Normalization of states is typically performed by assigning a value of 1 to the most common or most stable state of the system, and then scaling the values of all other states accordingly. This ensures that the total sum of all states is equal to 1, making it easier to compare and analyze the data.

What are some common techniques used for normalization of states?

Some common techniques used for normalization of states include min-max normalization, z-score normalization, and decimal scaling. Each of these techniques has its own advantages and is used depending on the specific needs of the analysis.

What are the benefits of normalization of states?

Normalization of states has several benefits, including making data easier to interpret and compare, reducing the impact of outliers, and improving the accuracy and reliability of data analysis. It also allows for more meaningful and valid conclusions to be drawn from the data.