Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Normalizer of a subgroup of prime index

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    Hello! Can anyone help me with this problem?

If H is a subgroup of prime index in a finite group G, show that either N(H)=G or N(H) = H.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What do you know about the index of a subgroup? And where is ##N_G(H)## settled with respect to ##H## and ##G##?

4. Oct 30, 2016 #3
    Well as H has prime index it means it is cyclic. Also we have that p=ord(H) | ord(N) | ord(G). So we should have ord(N)=##k_1##p and ord(G)=##k_2##ord(N)=##k_1## ##k_2## p. So we have to show that either ##k_1##=1 or ##k_2##=1. This is what I got by now. But I don't know what to do next

5. Oct 30, 2016 #4

fresh_42

So p=ord(H) | ord(N) | ord(G) means ##H \leq N_G(H) \leq G##. The index of ##H## is also equal to ##|G/H|##. Do you know what happens, if you factorize ##H## across these inclusions?

6. Oct 30, 2016 #5
    Sorry I am a little confused. You mean something like ##|H/H| \le |N(H)/H| \le |G/H| ##? This means ##1 \le |N(H)/H| \le |G/H|##. So what next?

7. Oct 30, 2016 #6

fresh_42

If ##|G/H|=p## prime, how many orders fit in between ##1## and ##p##?

The essential part to be confused of, is the fact, that these cosets are possible disregarding whether ##H## is normal or not. Do you know why?

8. Oct 30, 2016 #7
    Thank you so much! I kept reading a subgroup of prime order. It is index not order. Now it is easy. Sorry for this and thank you again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted