1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalizers an p-Sylow subgroups

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let G be a finite group, and H be a normal subgroup of G. Let B be a p-Sylow subgroup of H, for some p dividing |H|. Show that G=HN_G(B).

(N_G(B) is the normalizer of B in G, that is the biggest subgroup of G which contains B and B is normal in it. Equivalently N_G(B)={g\inG|gBg^-1=B})

2. Relevant equations

The Sylow theorems.

3. The attempt at a solution

To tell the truth I'm pretty stumped with this question. I know that the index of the normalizer is the number of p-Sylow subgroups, but B is a p-Sylow subgroup of H, and the normalizer is in G. I also know that B must be the only p-Sylow subgroup of its normalizer. I can't see how this adds up to a solution. I also tried considering a left action of H on G, but things seem to abstract to get something from that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a classical result, called Frattini's argument.

The proof is pretty straightforward. So if you don't want to look it up, here's a hint: take a g in G and consider g-1Bg. There are two important things we can say about this - what are they?
  4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    well, first, since H is normal, gBg^-1 is a subgroup of H.
    second, it's also a p-Sylow subgroup of H, so it's conjugate to B.

Oh! so it's also of the form hBh^-1!
    great, I'll take it from here. thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?