1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalizing Hermite Polynomials

1. May 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the normalization integral in (22.15). Hint: Use (22.12) for one of the $H_n(x)$ factors, integrate by parts, and use (22.17a); then use your result repeatedly.

2. Relevant equations
    (22.15) ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}H_n(x)H_m(x)dx = \sqrt{\pi}2^nn!## when ##n=m##
    (22.12) ##H_n(x)=(-1)^ne^{x^2}\frac{d^n}{dx^n}e^{-x^2}##
    (22.17a) ##H'_n(x)=2nH_{n-1}(x)##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started out by writing my integral from (22.15) as:
    ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}[H_n(x)]^2dx##
    Expanding one of the ##H_n(x)## terms gives:
    ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}H_n(x)e^{x^2}(-1)^n\frac{d^n}{dx^n}e^{-x^2}dx##
    ##=(-1)^n\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}H_n(x)\frac{d^n}{dx^n}e^{-x^2}dx##
    Integration by parts and using equation 22.17a gives:
    ##(-1)^n[H_n(x)e^{-x^2}|^{\infty}_{-\infty}-\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}2nH_{n-1}(x)\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}e^{-x^2}dx##
    The first term goes to zero and leaves:
    ##(-1)^n\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}2nH_{n-1}(x)\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}e^{-x^2}dx##
    IBP n-1 more times gives:
    ##(-1)^n2^nn!\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}H_0(x)e^{-x^2}dx=(-1)^n2^nn!\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}dx = (-1)^n2^nn!\sqrt{\pi}##

This is correct except I have this extra factor of ##(-1)^n## that shouldn't be there, I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2017 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi rmiller,

Let's take a closer look at the IBP:
    Shouldn't that be:
    $$(-1)^n\left[H_n(x)e^{-x^2}|^{\infty}_{-\infty}-\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}2nH_{n-1}(x)\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}e^{-x^2}dx\right] \\
    =(-1)^n \cdot \left[ -\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}2nH_{n-1}(x)\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}e^{-x^2}dx \right] \\
    =(-1)^{n-1} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}2nH_{n-1}(x)\frac{d^{n-1}}{dx^{n-1}}e^{-x^2}dx
    $$
    ?

4. May 8, 2017 #3
    For future people, you get a factor of -2 each time you do ibp and in the end you're left with (-1)^n (-2)^n when you combine them it gives 2^n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted