Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News North Dakota not a State

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since N Dakota is a territory and not a State,

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/fine-print-north-dakota-may-not-state-195631502.html

And since laws governing territories are different than those governing States, for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_rights_in_the_United_States

I thought it would be interesting to see what violations of the Constitution may have occurred over the last 120 years.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2
    So we're down to 56 states?

ND has been an ad hoc state (if the claim is true) for over 100 years, why would one minor procedural detail reverse that?

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Huh?

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4
    This is a windfall for me. My father owned a flag manufacturing company. Back in January of 1959 when Alaska was admitted to the union he retooled for the 49 star flag and had built up a good inventory by August when Hawaii was admitted and all of his stock became worthless. We still have it stored away in a warehouse and now we should make a tremendous profit. Thanks Dad, we all still love you. Thanks John Rolczynski too.

6. Aug 4, 2011 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hmmm...technically Massachusetts, Virginia, Kentucky and Pennsylvania are not states either. They are commonwealths. So it's 52.

7. Aug 4, 2011 #6
    A commonwealth is a title of a state.

8. Aug 4, 2011 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Did a lot happen while I was away on vaykay?

9. Aug 4, 2011 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Huh?

10. Aug 4, 2011 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because they were in violation of the Constitution and are therefore not a State.

It was a technical question.

11. Aug 4, 2011 #10
    Congress has always recognized ND as a state. What requirement exists in the federal constitution for a state to require a constitutional oath for admission? (I don't see how it matters if it’s required by the state constitution, as long as it's taken.)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  12. Aug 4, 2011 #11
    i've heard this territorist state has a huge stockpile of nukes

13. Aug 4, 2011 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The point is that his objection has been taken seriously. This means that ND was technically not a State. That Congress has always recognized ND as a State is one reason why laws were likely technically broken.

It's not like we're going to go back 120 years and undo legislation, but it might be interesting to see what difference it would have made both legally and politically, if ND had been recognized as a territory and not a State.

14. Aug 4, 2011 #13
    The objection is meaningless as long as Congress recognizes ND as a state, which it did. It was admitted to the Union. The flaw in the state's constitution does not bar it from admission to the Union.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  15. Aug 4, 2011 #14
    That's what I thought too. Maybe they're including the States of Anarchy, Disrepair,Boredom, Mind, Grace, Matter, and Relaxation.

16. Aug 4, 2011 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They didn't meet the criteria for admission to the union. You have things backwards here. Simply breaking laws doesn't undo them. Technically, Congress never should have recognized ND as a State and was in error in doing so. That is the point of the question - albeit a purely technical question, what are the implications of something like this?

17. Aug 4, 2011 #16

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  18. Aug 4, 2011 #17
    But that's what I asked earlier: "What requirement exists in the federal constitution for a state to require a constitutional oath for admission?"

What criteria did they not meet?

19. Aug 4, 2011 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

In an astonishing case of synchronicity, virtually this identical quip was made in a planning meeting I just came out of. In fact, the words were uttered about the same time as your post.

No punchline here. God's truth.

20. Aug 4, 2011 #19
    Ivan, you seem to imply that the individual state gets to decide if it is admitted pursuant to its own rules. An Act of Admission does not start at the state level because it is an act of Congress.

I do not have it backwards.

21. Aug 4, 2011 #20

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Sigh. Still on about that huh? It's been over three years. Give it a rest already.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook