Feeling Blissful: Enjoying the Bachman/Cummings Songbook

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, Georgina found comfort watching 70s concert on cable TV and is unsure of what it means. She is also a big fan of Powerhouse.
Danger
Gold Member
This is totally irrelevant to 99% of the people on this forum, but I just need to express how blissful I feel right now, being almost half-way through watching "Bachman/Cummings Songbook" on the TV. It's a concert staring Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings, but is not restricted to the music that they produced as "The Guess Who". It includes some of Burton's singles, "Bachman-Turner Overdrive" tunes, and (although I'm not sure) perhaps some of Bachman's stuff that he put out as a member of "Brave Belt" and "Iron Horse". Bottom line, I just love listening to these guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BdghL1NGk0g&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BdghL1NGk0g&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> What's your name? Who's your daddy? Is he rich like me?:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I say that I am nostalgic over tunes from only a decade ago you are going to scowl really hard at my post? ;-p

I can come up with older music that I find nostalgic like Powerhouse used by Hanna Barbara. One of my favourite bands used it for background in one of their songs as well.

Danger said:
This is totally irrelevant to 99% of the people on this forum, but I just need to express how blissful I feel right now, being almost half-way through watching "Bachman/Cummings Songbook" on the TV. It's a concert staring Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings, but is not restricted to the music that they produced as "The Guess Who". It includes some of Burton's singles, "Bachman-Turner Overdrive" tunes, and (although I'm not sure) perhaps some of Bachman's stuff that he put out as a member of "Brave Belt" and "Iron Horse". Bottom line, I just love listening to these guys.

Okay, yeah, well, I'm not even watching, yet thinking about that music makes me nostalgic, yes.

I recently got a cable upgrade (they bugged me and gave it to me for free ['they' being the cable company] so I agreed because, well, free) that came with a whole host of music stations on the teevee. I thought I'd be a huge fan of 80s station and yet I find myself drawn to the 70s station. Further, I know all of the words to the vast majority of songs that play. (In four hours they played only two songs I didn't recognise.) And it feels like comfort. I'm not sure what any of that means.

Stats, I love Powerhouse's stuff, but never realized that it was an established band. I always thought that project-specific studio musicians were used for the cartoons. (And that sample played in your link sounds suspiciously like something that belongs with "The Pink Panther".) And I'll certainly never scowl at anything that you post (giggle, maybe, but never scowl). It's really a matter of what one finds important in their past that determines whether or not it would be considered "nostaligic". The fact that my past started at approximately the same time as your father's just means that I have a lot more stuff to clutter up my memory.

Georgina, I'm still just running Shaw Classic. I was somewhat surprised to notice, after my initial post, a KSPS logo in the bottom right corner. I think that it's a Yank station out of Spokane or elsewhere in Washington. Quite strange, to me, that one of the greatest ever purely Canuk musical acts was playing from across the border.

Cartoons used to use a lot of popular music. I bought a Benny Goodman Orchestra album on CD a while back a noticed that I recognized most of the songs.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Cartoons used to use a lot of popular music. I bought a Benny Goodman Orchestra album on CD a while back a noticed that I recognized most of the songs.

Well, "Fantasia" certainly had a touch or two of classical. Pretty much all of the heavy Disney stuff, so far as that goes.
This wasn't a cartoon, but close. I remember someone on TV, but I don't know whether it was The Ghoul on ch. 50 in Detroit, or Sir Graves Ghastly on 11 out of Toledo, or someone else entirely. Anyhow, he was playing "Popcorn" xylophone-style on a row of skulls.
Of course, "Merry Melodies" and "Looney Tunes" were both based upon established music.

edit: I didn't intend to overlook your post, HeLiXe. That was a cool link. The Zombies were great. I'm pretty sure that I have "She's Not There" on a cassette somewhere, but "Time of the Season" is also a really nice song. My only problem with it is that I occasionally confuse it with "Turn, Turn" by the Byrds because of the reference to seasons. :redface: (That's just something that happens to old people.)

Last edited:
Danger said:
edit: I didn't intend to overlook your post, HeLiXe.

lolol I didn't think you were overlooking me...but now I see you are just too polite and a good host of your thread:tongue2:

I wasn't even a thought when this song came out, but when I was little, I used to listen to the radio A LOT and it was on one of the oldies stations a lot. Then a few years later a grocery store used it in their commercial.

Danger said:
My only problem with it is that I occasionally confuse is with "Turn, Turn" by the Byrds because of the reference to seasons. :redface: (That's just something that happens to old people.)

I have this problem with movies:biggrin: Whenever I recall a movie, someone always tells me I mentioned scenes from three or four movies:rofl: but that's for another thread I guess :) I like that song "Turn,Turn" also.

HeLiXe said:
but that's for another thread I guess :)

This is my thread, and we can take it wherever we want to. :biggrin:
As for the "chronological dyslexia" problem, I have suffered from that for my entire life. I can tell you every damned thing that happened in any given movie that I'm familiar with, but it takes me a very long analysis of cause/effect relationships to tell you in which order they occurred. That's a major reason that I don't try to relate a film or book to someone who has not already experienced it.
We will undoubtedly have different opinions of what is "nostalgic". Even those of similar age will not consider the same things important. There are so many variations based upon geography, religion, political outlook, solar flares, menopause... :rolleyes:
Despite how close I've become to some of the old farts on PF, I don't know exactly how many are of equal or greater age to myself. (I was bitterly disappointed to learn that Ivan is younger. :grumpy:) Well, I know which of the women I am in contact with are the same age as me, but I'm not going to relate that info to anyone. As far as males go, Integral and Astro are probably closest to me chronologically.
To put the nostalgia in US television terms; I came home from school and ended up crying and pouting in my little "fort" because my Popeye cartoons had been pre-empted with news reports of some guy getting shot in Dallas.

Last edited:
Danger said:
(I was bitterly disappointed to learn that Ivan is younger. :grumpy:)

:rofl: well judging by his avatar, he looked old as a baby so...:biggrin:

I feel like a young fart. I guess the quality of life is what matters the most...but I'd rather listen to music and numb myself with lack of sleep than think about that :-p

Well... a chap who is now here under a new name, previously known as Yomamma, strolled in at the age of 13 and rapidly established himself as an equal to most of us. His formal education was in line with his age, but he knew stuff that most university students hadn't reached. Stuff like that comes from every direction.
And if Ivan was a baby, I would have drowned him before his eyes were open... (Only because I have designs upon his wife; nothing personal.)

Lol I'm only 21 so shouldn't really talk about nostalgia but Tocacata and Fugue definitely makes me feel that way hahahahahaha. Especially the part that's in Fantasia, just brilliant.

zomgwtf said:
Lol I'm only 21 so shouldn't really talk about nostalgia but Tocacata and Fugue definitely makes me feel that way hahahahahaha. Especially the part that's in Fantasia, just brilliant.
I was thinking of the video of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor just the other day. have you seen it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo yeah, I've seen it. It's pretty cool I think I like watching those, they have a bunch more for other songs/musicians.

Evo said:
I was thinking of the video of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor just the other day. have you seen it?
I can't say as I'd cross the street for either the music or the graphics alone, but the combination thereof is pretty cool. (The "Y"-shaped bits made me a bit dizzy, though.)

Danger said:
I can't say as I'd cross the street for either the music or the graphics alone, but the combination thereof is pretty cool. (The "Y"-shaped bits made me a bit dizzy, though.)
I like the combination "ooh pretty lights".

Danger said:

You wouldn't cross the street for a concert with this music by Bach?? Crazyness.

Danger said:
Well... a chap who is now here under a new name, previously known as Yomamma, strolled in at the age of 13 and rapidly established himself as an equal to most of us. His formal education was in line with his age, but he knew stuff that most university students hadn't reached. Stuff like that comes from every direction.
Ah yeah...this is young...consider me semi-old or semi young then:tongue2: When I was that age I was advanced in math and science but then we moved to some stupid area and I spent the last two years of high school twiddling my thumbs. But I learn quickly so I should be caught up to my former nerddom shortly:biggrin:

Danger said:
And if Ivan was a baby, I would have drowned him before his eyes were open... (Only because I have designs upon his wife; nothing personal.)

Now I see why you call yourself danger:wink: I better get out of here before Ivan kicks my #$% just for quoting this:tongue2:

1. What is the Bachman/Cummings Songbook?

The Bachman/Cummings Songbook is a collection of songs written and performed by Canadian musicians Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings. They were both members of the iconic rock band The Guess Who and have also had successful solo careers.

2. What is the significance of "Feeling Blissful" in relation to the Bachman/Cummings Songbook?

"Feeling Blissful" is a phrase that encapsulates the overall feeling and theme of the songs in the Bachman/Cummings Songbook. Many of their songs have a nostalgic and feel-good vibe, and listeners often describe feeling blissful while listening to them.

3. How many songs are included in the Bachman/Cummings Songbook?

The Bachman/Cummings Songbook includes a total of 27 songs, including hits such as "American Woman", "These Eyes", and "No Time". It also includes some lesser-known tracks and a few new songs written specifically for this collection.

4. Can you explain the creative process behind the Bachman/Cummings Songbook?

The Bachman/Cummings Songbook was a collaborative effort between Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings. They both contributed to the writing and composition of the songs, drawing inspiration from their personal experiences and musical influences. They also worked closely with a team of musicians and producers to bring their vision to life.

5. What makes "Feeling Blissful" a unique experience for listeners?

"Feeling Blissful" offers a unique and intimate experience for listeners as it showcases the combined talents of two iconic Canadian musicians. It also features new arrangements of their classic hits, providing a fresh and updated take on their beloved songs. The mix of nostalgia and newness creates a one-of-a-kind listening experience for fans of Bachman and Cummings.

Back