1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not a test; just a personal challenge

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    I've been working on this for years; self determination; there IS a time to say "Help"; this is it.

Equations of motion; I'm well acquainted with them, but THIS one is unique, and I can't get to first base.

V is Velocity
    X is distance/location
    t is time

X = 4*(t^2) - 15 - K*V

so I tried this:

X = 4 * (t^2) - 15 - K * (dx/dt)

Then I shuffle stuff around, and the dx and dt end up in places that I can't handle.

1 Is it possible to get this into a form where X is a function of t?
    2 Then a form where V is a function of t?
    3 And finally, where V is a function of X?

The first one is the most important to me. And ya MIGHT hafta hold my hand, so don't skip TOOO many steps.

LarryR : )
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. You don't break up dx/dt, it's just the velocity. If you had x(t), then you could differentiate it to get v(t) = dx(t)/dt.

You have already written x(t) ("x as a function of time"). Does that not give you what you want for 1?
  4. Mar 18, 2010 #3
    It's a function of time and velocity. I think he seeks an explicit solution using time to the differential equation.

as in "Differential equation solution:
    y(x) = c_1 e^(-x/K)+8 K^2-8 K x+4 x^2-15" from the link above

by the way, if you find a way to get #1, you can always get #2 by differentiating the solution from #1. For #3, you can solve for time in the distance equation(it will be time as a function of distance) Then, substitute that solution for t into all the t's present in the function v(t) you derived. I'll leave someone more comfortable with diffyqs to help you with #1(which is the beginning to finding #1 and #2)
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. Mar 18, 2010 #4
    Yeah, I think the guy on post num 3 explains it better than I can; you see my ORIGINAL equation has X and t and V......................... I don't WANT three variables; that's why I suggested we use dx/dt for the Vel............... leaving just X's and t's to work with, but as I explained, the dx and dt come out in places unfamiliar to me when I shuffle them around.

6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    Yes, I see what you MEAN; but that is MY specifice dilemma tooo; to find a solution for num one.

7. Mar 18, 2010 #6
    Just simplify the equation.
    x(t) = 4t^2 - 15 -kx'(t)

x'(t) + \frac{x(t)}{k} = \frac{4t^2 - 15}{k}
    Can you solve that?

If not, what happens if you multiply both sides by [tex]e^{\frac{t}{k}}[/tex]?
  8. Mar 18, 2010 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Didn't he just give you the solution to 1 (changing the variables to yours)?

x(t) = c1 e-t/K+8 K2-8 K t+4 t2-15
  9. Mar 18, 2010 #8
    I think some of our messages got crossed, that is I was typing while a message was coming in..... however.............

I'm overwhelmed with all your help, and I've gotta leave for a while......... will come back and review all the above.

And thanks again................. if I can get this figured out, I'll have a taste of heaven, ha.

PS; I'm pleasantly surprised at all the help one gets in a VERY SHORT time.

10. Mar 20, 2010 #9
    [I had diff eq way back in 1956-1957 college year, so I've forgotten too much]

Two things;
    1 I can't read the exponent in post 6 where they're trying to guide me into answer; it's just a ball of fuzz to my computer and I can't get it go larger; looks like exponent is t/k? but if so, I still wouldn't know WHAT to do with that. So I could still use some help.

Could you give me more of a step by step process to show your solution from my original stated problem? That'd be great if you could.

2 One of the things I want to accomplish is that if my "4*t^2" became "2 * t^2" so that I could handle it.

Thanks a million.

11. Mar 20, 2010 #10
  12. Mar 21, 2010 #11
    Wow, am I wrestling with this; using all the resources that this forum has suggested, and going back to differentiation of products; integration of products; yes, you reminded me of the [forgot exactly what you called it ? coefficient of integration [the e^(t/k)] etc, and I'm not coming anywhere near close to your answer; Remember, I have LOTS of self doubts so not questioning you, but am wondering;

In the equation above, did you truly intend for the constant to be multiplied to the e^(t/k)? I expected the constant of integration to be "added" someplace.

I don't get all the "K" and K^2 factors you do, BUT I get some x^2 and x factors that you DON'T show..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm going in circles. Would really love if somebody had some time to show me more steps.

Geeeez, after I multiplied both sides by the e^(t/k) and did all the multitudinous steps [tedious to me] , THEN at the end, they ALL CANCELLED OUT; they ended up in EVERY FACTOR that I had come up with, and I HIGHLY suspect that I'm wrong.

Anything you can do to get me further, I'd appreciate. I'm starting to see the "approach", but am getting lost in the tediousness.

13. Mar 21, 2010 #12
    Hint #2:
    Notice what happens after you multiply the left side by e^(t/k)
    e^{t/k}x' + \frac{x}{k} e^{t/k} = (e^{t/k}x)'

Therefore, our equation now becomes...

(e^{t/k}x)' = \frac{4t^2 - 15}{k}e^{t/k}

Which shouldn't be too hard to solve.
  14. Mar 22, 2010 #13
    ok ok ok.......... I see what you're trying to do, to make me DO IT; MAKE AN ATTEMPT at it... I just read that THAT is what you people expect of me (smiling), ok, I HAVE been, but I'll post my results, and re-ask some of my puzzling questions:

I'm using the answer in post seven as a comparison to mine:

Post 7: x(t) = c1 e-t/K+8 K2-8 K t+4 t2-15
    Mine: x(t) =.......... 8K^2-8Kt +4t^2-15 + C
    notice that I don't have an e^(t/k) LEFT; it seems that it operated as a "catalyst", and then when I completed all my work in simplification at the end, it cancelled out ALL of my exponential factors on BOTH sides of the equation???????????

So then I ask, SHOULD they have all dropped out? why does post 7 have the C1e(-t/k) and I don't? Wow, I've done some tedious problems in my life, but this one sure qualifies as that, too. Should I have an exponent factor in my answer? why does THEIR exponent
    have a negative value in it? mine was positive as you suggested.

[Edit; ok, maybe I see what post 7 did, they did everything I did while the e^(t/k) was still in all the factors, while the C was "bare"...... THEN they multiplied both sides by the NEGATIVE [ e^(-t/k) ] which then wiped out ALL the e^(t/k) factors, but then required multiplying the constant C by that neg exponent as well.......... right? ok, if that is what post 7 did, is it necessary to do that? does the constant NEED that factor in it for accuracy? ie, is my "bare" C incorrect? ]

Hoping I didn't have any typos.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  15. Mar 22, 2010 #14
    Yes. The C requires the e^(t/k).

Just solve the ODE in my post.

You'll get

\int \frac{d((e^{t/k}x))}{dt} dt = \int \frac{4t^2 - 15}{k}e^{t/k} dt

Now, let F(t) be the antiderivative of the right hand side.

xe^{t/k} = F(t) + C \rightarrow x = e^{-t/k}F(t) + Ce^{-t/k}

And there's where the C factor comes from.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook