Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary, people on forums usually have automatic blocks for obscene or unacceptable words. Most members don't agree with this policy, and think that the word 'awesome' should be used more sparingly for what it really means. There is also disagreement over whether or not people should voluntarily refrain from using certain words.
wolram said:
Awesome is my definition of some one that comes up with the goods on time.

Haven't you already been warned about discussing your sex life in public?

Physics news on Phys.org
B. Elliott said:
Still within the same lines as what I was trying to get across... implying that they're a connoisseur, an enthusiast. Most people who use the word don't understand it's intensity.

Have you ever met sports fans? Or fans of a band or musician? I think the intensity is fully there. They sure seem nuts to me.

Danger said:
Haven't you already been warned about discussing your sex life in public?
, Cry, cry, you beast, you do have a talent for fact finding.

BobG said:
Excellent or Awesome

You be the judge.

Dope! :biggrin:

The one that drives me crazy that I hear the kids using sometimes is "sick". Never could figure that one as an expression of something good.

So where did, " b i t c h i n" come from? :confused: seriously.

Math Is Hard said:
Dope! :biggrin:

The one that drives me crazy that I hear the kids using sometimes is "sick". Never could figure that one as an expression of something good.

I figure it's no different than our generation calling something good "bad."

edward said:
So where did, " b i t c h i n" come from? :confused: seriously.

I know it's been used by surfers for a really long time. Merriam-Webster online dictionary dates it back to 1957. M-W says it likely came from "son-of-a-b****in'".

A lot of people think Valley girls invented it, but I think they just picked it up along with other surf lingo when visiting the beach. Moon Unit Zappa certainly popularized it!

"Wicked Cool," is one I never really got. Isn't wicked normally bad?

Danger said:
I see where you're coming from, B. Still, there's a difference between true appreciation and fanaticism. I'm a serious fan of Marvel comics, but you won't find me trying to lock Stan Lee in my basement. :uhh:

:rofl: Black costume forever! (and not the wussy 'That 70's Show' guy version.)

Last edited:
Radical.

A while back a friend of mine was in class and they were discussing the various words that are used to describe god. When the professor came to "Omnibenevolent: All good" the guy behind my friend chuckled and said "Dooode.. It's omnibenevolent."