Miracle: Friend Not Electrocuted Moving Cable w/ Metal

• Thread starter Sakha
  • Start date
In summary: And if you manage to cut yourself with a contact t can be a lot lower.In summary, someone broke a switch and caused a short circuit, but because the resistance between the live wire and the neutral wire was much lower, the person was not harmed.
Sakha
Today, a friend was moving a cable with a little piece of metal. He happened to cause a short circuit and nothing happened to him. The circuit was holding around 10 white lamps, 120V and I can guess its about 40W each. The little piece of metal even got perforated, and yet nothing happened to him. Thanks God.
Can anyone explain me how can this happens?

Physics news on Phys.org
The resistance between the live+neutral cables through the short was a lot less than the resistance through him to the ground

The neutral wire is at ground potential. The metal probably touched the neutral wire first and then shorted to the hot wire. If it had touched the hot wire first your friend would have at least received a shock.

Sakha said:
Today, a friend was moving a cable with a little piece of metal.

Why? This is crazy! Do you guys know how to shut the circuit off before working on it and how to verify that it is indeed off? 200 milli-amps (1/5 of one amp) is enough to be deadly. If this was a circuit in a house, it's probably a 15 amp line. Note the difference.

Last edited:
He broke the switch itself and was trying to put the plastic together with a little piece of metal he found, so the teacher woulnd't punish him for breaking it. Yes I forgot to say it was in school.
After that I told him "You know that could've killed you", and as many people say, he replied "Nah, 120V won't kill me".

Sakha said:
He broke the switch itself and was trying to put the plastic together with a little piece of metal he found, so the teacher woulnd't punish him for breaking it. Yes I forgot to say it was in school.
After that I told him "You know that could've killed you", and as many people say, he replied "Nah, 120V won't kill me".

You might ask the teacher to discuss that in class.

Sakha said:
Your friend is badly misinformed. Hand-to-hand or hand-to-foot transmission paths through the core of your body can kill you with very little current.

Sakha said:

Many people think that it is the voltage that kills you, which is a large misconception. In fact, I have a friend who had to receive a 5000 V jolt to pass one of his biomedical technology courses. It's the amps that are dangerous, and it doesn't take much to do the job. Human skin resistance is typically about 1 mega-ohm (10^6) for dry skin, but for moist skin the resistance can be reduced by a factor of 100.

I have restored and repaired and rebuilt a lot of tube-operated guitar amplifiers. The very first thing I do with every amp after disconnecting the power and removing the chassis is to connect the B+ rail to ground and do some voltage checks to make sure that there are not some capacitors lurking to bite you.

Related to Miracle: Friend Not Electrocuted Moving Cable w/ Metal

1. What is the "Miracle: Friend Not Electrocuted Moving Cable w/ Metal" about?

The "Miracle: Friend Not Electrocuted Moving Cable w/ Metal" is about a person who was moving a cable with metal and miraculously did not get electrocuted.

2. How is it possible for someone to not get electrocuted while handling a cable with metal?

It is possible for someone to not get electrocuted while handling a cable with metal if the person was properly insulated and the metal did not come into contact with any live wires or electrical sources.

3. Was this event scientifically proven to be a miracle?

No, this event has not been scientifically proven to be a miracle. It may have been a fortunate coincidence or the result of proper safety measures taken by the person handling the cable.

4. Can this "miracle" be replicated?

It is not recommended to try and replicate this event, as it can be dangerous to handle any type of electrical equipment without proper training and safety precautions. It is important to always follow safety guidelines when handling electrical equipment.

5. Are there any other possible explanations for this event besides a miracle?

Yes, there are other possible explanations for this event, such as the person being properly insulated, the metal not coming into contact with any live wires, or the person following necessary safety precautions. It is important to consider all possible factors before attributing an event to a miracle.