Not really a equation? finding friction

• Thread starter physicsgurl12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, you would measure the maximum deceleration without the wheels slipping to find the coefficent of friction.
physicsgurl12
how would you find the coefficent of friction on a car using a stopwatch??
i was trying to use this webite ( i didnt really help explain anything) to help it says you should get about .9 but i really want to know how.
http://regentsprep.org/regents/physics/phys01/friction/default.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
physicsgurl12 said:
how would you find the coefficent of friction on a car using a stopwatch??
i was trying to use this webite ( i didnt really help explain anything) to help it says you should get about .9 but i really want to know how.
http://regentsprep.org/regents/physics/phys01/friction/default.htm

Depends, whether it is static friction on kinetic friction

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how a stopwatch would help.

While the wheels are not slipping (which is usual for a car), the acceleration times mass of the car must be provided by the friction force between the tyres and the road. We have a limit for the max force provided by static friction, which is [itex]f_{max} = \mu_s F_N[/itex], where [itex]F_N[/itex] is the normal force (equal to the weight of the car usually). So if the acceleration times mass of the car breaks this limit, the force of static friction is no longer enough to keep the tyres from slipping.

So to measure the coefficient of static friction, you could measure the maximum of 'mass times deceleration' without the tyres slipping, and divide by the weight of the car.
Of course, there will be much more accurate ways of measuring static friction. But this is one way that any tom, dick or harry could do. (Although I don't advise wearing out your tyres by doing this experiment).

Take the time it takes for the car to stop from an initial speed with brakes maximally engaged.
[tex]\mu_k = {v \over g \cdot t}[/tex]

(This measures the coefficient of kinetic friction.)

Oh, I see. Yes, you could use a stopwatch to measure the coefficient of kinetic friction.

why do you find kinetic and not static??

An estimate of the static coefficient of friction could be made when braking maximally without locking the wheels.

physicsgurl12 said:
why do you find kinetic and not static??

Kinetic friction is when the wheels slip on the pavement.
Static friction is when the wheels do not slip.
The maximum static friction is higher than the kinetic friction.

Yes. There are two equations.
1) if the wheels are not slipping: [itex]f_{max}=\mu_s F_N[/itex]
2) if the wheels are slipping: [itex]f=\mu_k F_N[/itex]

okay well how do you know if the wheels slip??

For the wheels to not slip, the horizontal force on the entire car must be provided by the friction force. In other words, as long as [tex]f_{max} \geq m \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]
then the wheels will not slip. the horizontal acceleration will be due to braking. So as long as you don't brake too hard, the wheels won't slip!

You will know because suddenly you start gliding, and it makes you feel out of control! Assuming you do not have an anti-blocking-system (ABS) of course.

I like Serena said:
You will know because suddenly you start gliding, and it makes you feel out of control! Assuming you do not have an anti-blocking-system (ABS) of course.

haha thanks! that helps alot.

would you use cruise control for you initial velocity??

physicsgurl12 said:
would you use cruise control for you initial velocity??

That's probably best to start from an accurate initial speed.
Or at least from a reproducible initial speed.

Is she actually doing this 'experiment'??! Haha, be careful!

If you drive 10 miles per hour and lock the wheels, you're guaranteed to stop within 2 meters.
That should be safe enough.
After that you can try it a little faster to be able to make a better time measurement.

Btw, you can also use the stopping distance to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction.
[tex]\mu_k = {v^2 \over 2 \cdot g \cdot x}[/tex]

yes. I am actually doing it. i have to. its a project.

physicsgurl12 said:
yes. I am actually doing it. i have to. its a project.

Sounds like fun! :smile:

When will you do it?

after thanksgiving break. so the week after next.

Will you tell us how it goes?

if i remember to!

I'll remind you!

is this going to be an actual person sitting inside a real car? Isn't there a danger of serious neck injuries? Because you need to brake pretty hard to make the wheels slip?!

Better check your health insurance covers this kind of thing!

I think you're exagerating here.
Where I live it is required to do an emergency brake test when you get your driver's license.
It can happen that the wheels lock.
The maximum acceleration is "only" less than 1G.
This is very different from being unexpectedly hit from behind with 30+ miles per hour.

Hmm, the jerk is probably more important. The change in acceleration would be roughly 1G, but what time does this change occur over? I don't know the answer, and I don't know what is a safe level.

You're probably right though, since I don't think people often get whiplash from simply braking. I was just thinking that she would probably need to do the experiment at least a dozen times to get sufficient repeats, and that sounds painful.

I believe jerk it not the most relevant - but impulse versus time.
Basically this is simply acceleration.
If the impulse is spread over a longer time (seat belts, airbag), the acceleration is less.

The neck can only withstand a limited acceleration, but certainly more than 1G, especially if you expect it.

Last edited:
Acceleration is not important. Think of astronauts in training. They are subjected to high accelerations gradually, and the only thing that happens to them is that they eventually lose consciousness. They don't damage their necks. It is the higher derivatives that cause neck damage.

In other words, if neck damage were to be caused by a roughly constant acceleration, it would need to be really great.

Let's make it a combination of jerk and acceleration.

An (unexpected) quick change of acceleration can break your neck.
A high enough acceleration of the car can also break your neck.

Both do not occur when making an emergency stop.

@BruceW: Congratulations with your HH medal! :smile:

Yeah, thanks! I am happy with it. I am glad someone (a moderator or contributor I guess?) thought I had made a contribution to deserve the medal.

@OP: any news on the experiment?

1. What is friction and why is it important?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, and it also plays a crucial role in everyday activities such as walking, driving, and using tools.

2. How is friction measured?

Friction is typically measured using a device called a tribometer, which measures the force required to move an object over a surface. The unit of measurement for friction is called the coefficient of friction, which is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the frictional force to the normal force between two objects.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two objects?

The amount of friction between two objects is affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the objects together, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces. Additionally, the roughness and temperature of the surfaces can also impact the amount of friction.

4. How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces in contact. This helps to create a barrier between the surfaces and reduces the amount of friction between them. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or adding rollers or bearings can also help to reduce friction.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding friction?

Understanding friction is important in many industries, such as transportation, manufacturing, and sports. It helps engineers design more efficient machines and equipment, improves the performance of vehicles, and allows athletes to optimize their movements. Additionally, understanding friction can also help prevent accidents and injuries, such as by using anti-slip materials on floors or shoes.