Not sure what subject this comes under, and not HW, just a problem.

• Thread starter bortonj88
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a plane traveling a distance of 660km with a tail wind of 60km/h and arriving 6 minutes early. The speed of the plane without the wind is unknown, but using the formula s=d/t, two equations can be formed to solve for the speed and time. After solving, the speed of the plane without the wind can be found to be 600km/h.
bortonj88

Homework Statement

A plane traveling a distance of 660km, with unknown speed, has a tail wind of 60km/h, and due to this tail wind arrives at its destination 6 mins early.

What is the speed of the plane without the wind?

Homework Equations

I have so far used s=d/t,

The Attempt at a Solution

Using s=d/t, i have got expressions for both s and t.

s = (x + 16.7) m/s
t = (x' +360) s and i have converted 660 km into metres, 660000m to get

x + 16.7 = 660000/(x' + 360)

However i am not sure if this is the right way of looking at it, so any help will be greatly appriechiated.

Thanks
John

Physics news on Phys.org
bortonj88 said:

Homework Statement

A plane traveling a distance of 660km, with unknown speed, has a tail wind of 60km/h, and due to this tail wind arrives at its destination 6 mins early.

What is the speed of the plane without the wind?

Homework Equations

I have so far used s=d/t,

The Attempt at a Solution

Using s=d/t, i have got expressions for both s and t.

s = (x + 16.7) m/s
Where is the "16.7" from?

t = (x' +360) s and i have converted 660 km into metres, 660000m
Why convert to meters?
to get

x + 16.7 = 660000/(x' + 360)

However i am not sure if this is the right way of looking at it, so any help will be greatly appriechiated.

Thanks
John
Let v be the speed, in km/h, without the wind, t the time, in hours, to make the trip without the wind. Then 660/t= v or vt= 660. With the tail wind the speed is v+ 60 and the time for the trip is t- 1/10 (60 minutes is 1/10 hour). Then 660/(t- 1/10)= v+ 60 or 660= (t- 1/10)(v+ 60)= tv+ 60t+ v/10+ 6.

Solve the two equations vt= 660 and tv+ 60t+ v/10+ 6= 660.

1. What exactly is the problem?

The problem is not clearly stated, so it is difficult to provide a specific answer. Please provide more details or context so that I can better understand and assist with the problem.

2. Can you provide more information or background on the problem?

Yes, additional information or background on the problem can help to provide a more accurate and thorough answer. Please provide any relevant details or context that can help me to better understand the problem.

3. Is there a specific subject or field that the problem pertains to?

Without knowing the specific subject or field, it is challenging to provide a targeted answer. Please provide any information on the subject or field that the problem is related to.

4. Have you attempted to solve the problem yourself?

If you have already attempted to solve the problem, please provide any steps or methods you have tried. This can help me to understand where you may be stuck and provide more targeted assistance.

5. Is there a deadline for solving the problem?

If there is a deadline for solving the problem, please let me know. This will help me to prioritize and provide a timely response to your question.