1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not sure what to do with this DE problem

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Verify by substitution that each given function is a solution of the given differential equation. Throughout these problems, primes denote derivatives with respect to x.
    y'=3x2; y=x3+7

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well obviously I see that the derivative of y=x3+7 is just 3x2, but what does it mean by verifying by substitution? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

It means substitute [itex]y = x^3 + 7[/itex] into [itex]y' = 3x^2[/itex] to get [itex](x^3 + 7)' = 3x^2[/itex] and then confirm that the left hand side does in fact equal the right hand side. In this case it obviously does, so there's nothing more to do. Although I suppose you could expressly state that [itex](x^3 + 7)' = (x^3)' + (7)' = 3x^2 + 0 = 3x^2[/itex].

4. Sep 8, 2013 #3
    Why do they make me even do this...?

5. Sep 8, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Usually, they don't anticipate the student having any problem verifying an equation given its solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted