Not sure what to do with this DE problem

• Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Verify by substitution that each given function is a solution of the given differential equation. Throughout these problems, primes denote derivatives with respect to x.
y'=3x2; y=x3+7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well obviously I see that the derivative of y=x3+7 is just 3x2, but what does it mean by verifying by substitution? :confused:

Answers and Replies

pasmith
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Verify by substitution that each given function is a solution of the given differential equation. Throughout these problems, primes denote derivatives with respect to x.
y'=3x2; y=x3+7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well obviously I see that the derivative of y=x3+7 is just 3x2, but what does it mean by verifying by substitution? :confused:
It means substitute [itex]y = x^3 + 7[/itex] into [itex]y' = 3x^2[/itex] to get [itex](x^3 + 7)' = 3x^2[/itex] and then confirm that the left hand side does in fact equal the right hand side. In this case it obviously does, so there's nothing more to do. Although I suppose you could expressly state that [itex](x^3 + 7)' = (x^3)' + (7)' = 3x^2 + 0 = 3x^2[/itex].

Why do they make me even do this...?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Usually, they don't anticipate the student having any problem verifying an equation given its solution.