Notation for drum parts when scores were hand written?

In summary, the conversation discusses how drums were written in hand-written scores, with the use of the percussion clef and specific notation for individual drums and cymbals. It also mentions the use of abbreviation and assigning pitches to drum parts. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of notating unexpected percussion noises and provides examples of pieces that feature percussion prominently.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In the days when scores were written by hand, how were parts for drums written? It's clear that ordinary notation is sufficient to indicate the duration of dumb beats - although writing each beat for a drum would be tedious. Was there some system of abbreviation? Did composers attempt to assign a pitch to drum parts? That could be done for some kind of drums, but what about the kind of drums used by marching bands?

Science news on Phys.org
Same as it is now:

1616329311817.png
The clef is "percussion clef". It is common for individual drums to be identified. It is also common for cymbals to have an X notehead. It is less common to have a hi-hat pedal notated on the bottom of the staff, so this is an example of why it's good to identify drums.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes jim mcnamara, hutchphd, BWV and 2 others
Hey V read your report and suggest the following for fairer use.

Display it on your monitor and use windows screen capture to crop what you want to show. Use the windowskey+shift+s and select a portion of the score to capture.

Vanadium 50 said:
@Stephen Tashi ,did taht answer your question?
Yes, the statement that handwitten scores used the drum clef notation exemplified by the printed score example. does answer my question.

For individual percussion instruments in classical scores, you’ll often have a single line with a rhythm notated on it. Piatti = snare drum and Cassa = bass drum. (And timpani is typically written in bass clef.)
002909AA-3783-4457-BC6A-4993787353F9.jpeg

Likes Klystron and Vanadium 50
One line is all you need for a hammer
74ogbqto.png

But why only FF? Bonus points if you know what piece this is without googling

Likes atyy
BWV said:
Bonus points if you know what piece this is without googling

Gustav's Silver Hammer (A Minor Tragedy)?

PS How the devil would you Google such a thing?

Likes atyy and BWV
Vanadium 50 said:
Gustav's Silver Hammer (A Minor Tragedy)?

PS How the devil would you Google such a thing?
I’m sure it’s at the top when you google ‘classical music with hammer’

Likes atyy
Maxwell's Silver Hammer :wink:

How would they know it was classical? And if one didn't read music, one might guess the Anvil Chorus from Il Trovatore.

BWV said:
But why only FF?

For brasswinds there is "blastissimo".

The cannons in the 1812 Overture are written in bass, not percussion clef, and are noted E. I don't know how one tunes a cannon. They start with quarter notes at ff and become half notes at ffff. I guess one is supposed to use more gunpowder?

• Informative
Likes hutchphd and BWV
Wagner did write some great stuff/ "Oh Brunhilde, you are so wuv-ly." "Yes, I know it. I can't help it."

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and Klystron
BWV said:
Ah, but the excerpt is not Wagner!

Right, but @Vanadium 50 already gave the correct answer above. This was just a mildly horrifying story that a google search turned up, with the correct answer shown first, as you said.

BWV said:
But why only FF?

In this version (1:07:05) it seems to be fff.

TeethWhitener said:
For individual percussion instruments in classical scores, you’ll often have a single line with a rhythm notated on it. Piatti = snare drum and Cassa = bass drum. (And timpani is typically written in bass clef.)
View attachment 280167
Nice choice of music (last line of Rach 2). During one rehearsal, I had to use a stack of two school chairs as a piano stool, and the sideways motion in the last bar (down from the top note to the last 4 Cs) caused the top one to slip off the side of the lower one so I ended up on the floor, resulting in unexpected additional percussion noises and a mixture of concerned and hysterical noises from the orchestra. I'd challenge anyone to notate that!

Likes TeethWhitener
Jonathan Scott said:
resulting in unexpected additional percussion noises and a mixture of concerned and hysterical noises from the orchestra.
Haha, well kudos to you for playing it. Whenever I try to play it, there also usually end up being unexpected percussion noises as well as more than a few improvised PG-13 vocal parts :biggrin:

Jonathan Scott said:
Nice choice of music (last line of Rach 2). During one rehearsal, I had to use a stack of two school chairs as a piano stool, and the sideways motion in the last bar (down from the top note to the last 4 Cs) caused the top one to slip off the side of the lower one so I ended up on the floor, resulting in unexpected additional percussion noises and a mixture of concerned and hysterical noises from the orchestra. I'd challenge anyone to notate that!
Maybe
1619881091822.png

Likes Jonathan Scott
TeethWhitener said:
Haha, well kudos to you for playing it. Whenever I try to play it, there also usually end up being unexpected percussion noises as well as more than a few improvised PG-13 vocal parts :biggrin:
In my experience, it gets better after about 35 years. It would probably have taken less time if I didn't have a full time computer programming job.

Likes TeethWhitener

Your percussive fall reminded me of an error report I once saw. It was for a mainframe computer and the report said simply "TELCO ERROR". We didn't have any such hardware named telco and it was for some novel extended instruction processing unit hardware.

Further investigation revealed that the local phone repair technician had accidentally crashed his cart into the processing unit which caused a computer malfunction and ultimately a full reboot to get things back to normal.

1. What is the history behind notation for drum parts when scores were hand written?

The use of notation for drum parts dates back to ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans. However, it wasn't until the 19th century that standardized notation for drum parts began to develop.

2. How did notation for drum parts evolve over time?

In the early stages, drum notation consisted of simple symbols and letters to represent different drum sounds. As music became more complex, drum notation evolved to include more specific symbols and notation techniques such as noteheads, stems, and rests.

3. What were some challenges with using hand-written notation for drum parts?

One of the main challenges was the lack of standardized notation, leading to confusion and inconsistencies between different composers and musicians. Additionally, the limited space on a music score made it difficult to notate complex drum parts accurately.

4. How did technology impact notation for drum parts when scores were hand written?

The invention of the printing press in the 15th century allowed for standardized notation to be reproduced and distributed more easily. Later on, the development of music engraving software made it possible to create more complex and accurate drum notation.

5. Is hand-written notation for drum parts still used today?

While hand-written notation is still used by some composers and musicians, it has largely been replaced by digital notation software. This allows for more precise and efficient notation, as well as the ability to easily share and edit scores.