Deriving Notations for Differentials in Time-Evolving Systems

In summary: Thus, in summary, the equation for ##d(x,y,z,t)## is given by ##d(\frac{dx}{dt})=\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial y}dy+\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial z}dz+\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial t}dt##.
Apashanka
if ##d^3x=Jd^3X...(1) ## where ##x's## evolves with time and ##X's## are constt. and ##x_i=f(X_i)##(for ##i^{th}## coordinate) where the functional form of ##f(X_i)## changes with the time evolution of ##x_i##.
Now taking time derivative of (1) and dividing throughout by (1) it is coming ##\dot J=J(\nabla•v)##(##x## and ##X## are coordinates) which is consistent.
But another thing is approximated while doing this ##\frac{d}{dt}(dx_i)=d(\frac{dx_i}{dt})=dv_i## actually I try to prove it by hand but can't...
Will anyone provide me any hints...

Physics news on Phys.org
D , as usually defined acts on differential forms which includes functions, but the expression d/dx is neither unless you have a special definition. How do you define this operation?

WWGD said:
D , as usually defined acts on differential forms which includes functions, but the expression d/dx is neither unless you have a special definition. How do you define this operation?
##\frac{d}{dt}## is defined as ##\frac{\partial }{\partial t}+(v•\nabla)##

This is defined for time series ( for context) or a general definition?

WWGD said:
This is defined for time series ( for context) or a general definition?
Here is the case where ##i^{th}## component of velocity depends on ##v_i(x,y,z,t)## ,now ##\frac{d v_i}{dt}=\frac{\partial v_i}{\partial t}+(v•\nabla)v_i## for which ##\frac{d}{dt}=\frac{\partial }{\partial t}+v•\nabla## using this I tried to find ##d(\frac{dx}{dt})=dv_x## and trying to equate it to ##\frac{d}{dt}(dx)##...but can't...

Okk I have done it like this ,is it the correct procedure??
##\frac{d}{dt}(dx)=\frac{d}{dt}(v_x(x,y,z,t)dt)=\frac{dv_x(x,y,z,t)}{dt}dt=dt(\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial t}+(v•\nabla)v_x)=dt[\frac{\partial v_x}{dt}+(v_x\frac{\partial }{dx}+v_y\frac{\partial }{dy}+v_z\frac{\partial }{dz})v_x]##

And taking ##d(\frac{dx}{dt})=dv_x(x,y,z,t)=\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial y}dy+\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial z}dz+\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial t}dt## which are same...

1. What is the purpose of using differentials in scientific notations?

Differentials are used in scientific notations to represent an infinitesimal change in a variable. This allows for a more precise and accurate representation of a function or equation.

2. What is the difference between "dx" and "Δx" in differential notation?

The notation "dx" represents a small change in the independent variable, while "Δx" represents the change in the dependent variable. In other words, "dx" is used for differentiation, while "Δx" is used for finding the difference or change in a variable.

3. How are differentials used in calculus?

In calculus, differentials are used to represent the instantaneous rate of change of a function. This allows for the calculation of derivatives, which are important in understanding the behavior of a function.

4. Can differentials be used in other fields of science?

Yes, differentials are a fundamental concept in mathematics and can be applied in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze various phenomena, including motion, growth, and optimization.

5. Are there different notations for differentials?

Yes, there are various notations for differentials, including "dx," "dy," "dθ," "du," and "dv." The choice of notation often depends on the context and the variable being represented. However, they all serve the same purpose of representing a small change in a variable.