NOTE Newtons laws does NOT seem to work here

• Thread starter waynexk8
  • Start date
NOTE Newtons first law does NOT seem to work here, at the object does NOT keep moving at a constant speed, it actually stops.

Am I missing somthing ???

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
It doesn't stop.

NOTE Newtons first law does NOT seem to work here, at the object does NOT keep moving at a constant speed, it actually stops.

Wayne
It don't seem to stop when I watch it.
EDIT: Darn, beaten.

Doc Al
Mentor
What exactly are you talking about?

Wayne
Yes you are missing gravity. If I'm sitting on the space station and push some object towards earth, it will come back up again later on. If the space station has a circular orbit, the thrown object will have an elliptic orbit. Sometimes closer to earth, sometimes farther away. So it will move up and down relatively to me.

Torquil

Looking at it again, I suppose there is not enough evidence in the video. But it looks like to me that its either slowing down or stopped and just rotating, or even going if anything in another direction.

Wayne

Yes you are missing gravity. If I'm sitting on the space station and push some object towards earth, it will come back up again later on. If the space station has a circular orbit, the thrown object will have an elliptic orbit. Sometimes closer to earth, sometimes farther away. So it will move up and down relatively to me.

Torquil
K thx.

Ok, if the Moon can move the tides, and they must weigh Billions of tones, why does it not move far lighter things on this Earth and things like space walkers ???

Wayne

K thx.

Ok, if the Moon can move the tides, and they must weigh Billions of tones, why does it not move far lighter things on this Earth and things like space walkers ???

Wayne
The moon does influence the movement of space walkers.

Also, its gravitational field acts on every object on earth the same. The difference between its influence on land and water is that land is rigid and water is not. The water is able to flow, and therefore the effect of the lunar influence is different.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the strength of the gravity from the moon is the same all over the earth, of course. See post #9 for the explanation of the tides.

Remember, the gravitational force between two objects is proportional to the product of the two masses, so the force acting on the billion of tonnes of water is proportionally larger.

Torquil

Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The moon affects the tides by an uneven pull between the areas of the Earth closer to the moon and the areas of the Earth farther from the moon. An astronaut, being small, does not feel this difference in pull appreciably; he feels more or less the same force throughout his entire body.

The moon does influence the movement of space walkers.

Also, its gravitational field acts on every object on earth the same. The difference between its influence on land and water is that land is rigid and water is not. The water is able to flow, and therefore the effect of the lunar influence is different.

Remember, the gravitational force between two objects is proportional to the product of the two masses, so the force acting on the billion of tonnes of water is proportionally larger.

Torquil
Ahh,the gravitational force between two objects is proportional to the product of the two masses.

Great get it.

Wayne

The moon affects the tides by an uneven pull between the areas of the Earth closer to the moon and the areas of the Earth farther from the moon. An astronaut, being small, does not feel this difference in pull appreciably; he feels more or less the same force throughout his entire body.
K thx.

And thx to all.

Wayne