Accident Prone: Trimming Trees & Picking Up Hedge Clippers

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Evo's eye was injured by a tree branch while trimming trees. While waiting for a friend to check it, he decided to also cut into a hornet's nest. His friend advised him to go to the emergency room, but Evo was hesitant. However, with the risk of infection and stories of eye parasites, he decided to go to the ER.
Evo said:
The doctor says it's healing nicely.

Cool. :smile:

Now, at your next injury (which, from reading GD, is a safe prediction) don't waste any time posting here that you got hurt. Do so AFTER you return from your medical visit. Your post can wait an hour, something your various organs may not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Glad that things look okay, Evo. Our eyes are precious!

Evo said:
My many years of reading medical books has paid off. (And don't anyone else dare do a self diagnosis). I was right, the sclera was torn and stopped RIGHT at the edge of the cornea.

There is no infection, thanks to a trick I've used with cat eye infections (don't anyone try that either). The doctor says it's healing nicely.

I want to thank Twsting_Edge who woke me up at 2Am to make sure I was keeping my eye closed. :!) I want to thank the fruit bat for not sneezing in my eyeball as he normally does. I want to thank the hornets for not attacking.

And I want to thank everyone here for their concern. :!) :smile:

I am glad you are ok.:smile:
Could you possibly mean a http://www.revoptom.com/handbook/sect2e.htm" rather than scleral laceration? The conjunctiva is the clear membrane that covers the sclera. If your sclera was torn you would most likely need surgery to repair it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was cool he put some dye in my eye that made it glow with an ultraviolet light. I asked him if he could tint my eyeballs purple so I could freak my boss out, but alas, no deal. :grumpy:

larkspur said:
I am glad you are ok.:smile:
Could you possibly mean a http://www.revoptom.com/handbook/sect2e.htm" rather than scleral laceration? The conjunctiva is the clear membrane that covers the sclera. If your sclera was torn you would most likely need surgery to repair it.
He said sclera, the puncture was a bit deep, there is a raised portion, all torn up and a deflated portion directly beneath. It's rather nasty looking, but much better than Saturday. There appears to be a pocket of fluid with blood covering part of the Iris. But it also seems to be going away. I'm sure most of the damage is to the conjunctiva. I'm supposed to call if anything changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear its ok, while eye patches are cool for a day or two, it really isn't the right look for you.

Ok, on to your next injury, summers only mid-way..shall we make bets on what it will be?

hypatia said:
Glad to hear its ok, while eye patches are cool for a day or two, it really isn't the right look for you.
Agreed!

Ok, on to your next injury, summers only mid-way..shall we make bets on what it will be?

:rofl:

I'm starting to worry about the emerging pattern of mentors running into hornet's nests. :eek:

hypatia said:

hmm... something involving a chainsaw and hornets?

Wear safety googles, and please do NOT have anymore injuries.

Did you get antibiotic eye-drops?

Scenario #1:

Lightning will hit the chainsaw while she's cutting through a hornet's nest.

The lighting will kill the saw just before it hits her leg, and the hornets all pop like popcorn kernals due to the heat. Evo is left standing with a smoking eyepatch, but is otherwise unharmed. She also conjures up a great new recipe for hornet poppers as a result of the ordeal.

Ivan Seeking said:
Scenario #1:

Lightning will hit the chainsaw while she's cutting through a hornet's nest.

The lighting will kill the saw just before it hits her leg, and the hornets all pop like popcorn kernals due to the heat. Evo is left standing with a smoking eyepatch, but is otherwise unharmed. She also conjures up a great new recipe for hornet poppers as a result of the ordeal.
:rofl: :rofl:

Evo said:
He said sclera, the puncture was a bit deep, there is a raised portion, all torn up and a deflated portion directly beneath. It's rather nasty looking, but much better than Saturday. There appears to be a pocket of fluid with blood covering part of the Iris. But it also seems to be going away. I'm sure most of the damage is to the conjunctiva. I'm supposed to call if anything changes.

Sounds rather serious. Did he see any blood in the retina when he dilated your eye?

Mmmmm Hornet Poppers, and a side of Wasabi for dipping!

Tag line "put a little heat in your sting"

Evo said:
It was cool he put some dye in my eye that made it glow with an ultraviolet light. I asked him if he could tint my eyeballs purple so I could freak my boss out, but alas, no deal. :grumpy:

:rofl::rofl:

Btw, glad to hear everything is okay.

Scenario 2:

Lightning strikes hornets, hornets turn super-intelligent and become endowed with super-natural powers, take the chainsaw and hijack Evo, and ask for a $ 1,000,000 ransom.

Evo, how is your injured eye?

Hopefully, much better by now.

radou;1379970Scenario 2: said:
Lightning strikes hornets, hornets turn super-intelligent and become endowed with super-natural powers, take the chainsaw and hijack Evo, and ask for a $ 1,000,000 ransom.
:cry: No one would pay it and the hornets would soon tire of me. Maybe I could make them some cheese and sausage baklava. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Evo, how is your injured eye?

Hopefully, much better by now.
Much better, thanks.

Last edited:
I thought of you this weekend while pruning my apple trees - with glasses on.:cool:

turbo-1 said:
I thought of you this weekend while pruning my apple trees - with glasses on.:cool:
Yes, I am the poster child for yard accidents. :frown:

Evo said:
Yes, I am the poster child for yard accidents. :frown:

You just can't get moved into the new place soon enough! At least if you have a yard accident at the new place, you can sue the landlord, manager, and ground crew! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
You just can't get moved into the new place soon enough! At least if you have a yard accident at the new place, you can sue the landlord, manager, and ground crew! :biggrin:

Or simply move into a place without a yard. :tongue2:

Last year Math Is Hard nearly put out her eye with a sheet of paper. Now this tree incident for Evo. I suppose we'll have the reports of Moonbear's freak eye accident in about a year.

A sisterhood curse or just plain oneupsmanship? I'm not sure.

zoobyshoe said:
Last year Math Is Hard nearly put out her eye with a sheet of paper.

Huh? :bugeye: I'm not sure I'd like to hear about the details of this one. :tongue:

radou said:
Huh? :bugeye: I'm not sure I'd like to hear about the details of this one. :tongue:
Mentors are a bit accident prone. :redface:

radou said:

It's true. Paper can be very, very dangerous. I can't remember if that incident was how I scratched my cornea or if I had done is some other way, but I did use the eye-patched Elle Driver from Kill Bill as my avatar for a while!

Math Is Hard said:
It's true. Paper can be very, very dangerous. I can't remember if that incident was how I scratched my cornea or if I had done is some other way, but I did use the eye-patched Elle Driver from Kill Bill as my avatar for a while!

I can't even imagine MIH with an eyepatch...

Maybe something like this?

Meatwadpatch.JPG
:rofl::rofl: Wow. Sorry, I felt the need to use Paint. I need more of a life.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maybe something like this?
Haw! That almost looks like a Victoria's Secret thong! :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
Haw! That almost looks like a Victoria's Secret thong! :biggrin:

OK! So, I'm not the best artist! Give me a break!:biggrin: