1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Engineering in Australia

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    I am currently in Grade 10 in Australia and wish to pursue a career as a Nuclear Engineer. And unfortunately, there are no universities in Australia that offer Nuclear Engineering as a degree. Instead, I would have to obtain a degree in any other form of engineering (Mechanical) or science, then study a Masters in Nuclear Engineering at UNSW. So I would end of with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and a Masters in Nuclear Engineering.

To get a job in this field, I would have to work overseas where I am competing for jobs with others who hold a degree in Nuclear Engineering, whereas, I would only have a masters.

Would I be at any disadvantage when it comes to being hired by companies because I would have a masters, and others would have full degrees?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean "full degrees", Kemosabe?

4. Apr 30, 2015 #3
    The way nuclear engineers degrees are set up, they're essentially more specialized versions of mechanical engineering (adding courses like reactor physics and whatnot); lots of mechanical engineers become nuclear engineers; I don't think a BS ME and a master in NE would hurt you in the job market.

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4
    Thanks. I was just worried that employers would pick those with a N.E. degree over one with a BS ME and a Masters in NE

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook