Nuclear Physics, photons, electrons and positrons

In summary, a photon with a minimum energy of twice the rest energy of an electron (511KeV) is required to spontaneously create an electron-positron pair, in order to conserve charge and energy. This energy can be calculated using the formula E=mc^2.
aimslin22

Homework Statement

A photon of sufficient energy can spontaneously create an electron and positron. This will conserve charge and must conserve energy. What is the minimum energy photon (in MeV and J) that can create an electron-positron pair?

Homework Equations

V=W/q (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the photon must have twice the energy of the electron (or of the electron and positron added together), but I have no idea how to find it. I think I am missing the formula or some simple conversion, help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rest energy of an electron: 511KeV

Does that help?

It's obtained by just using the E=mc^2 formula on the Electron's mass.

Looks good to me! Thank you!

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is the branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei. It involves understanding the structure of the nucleus, the forces that hold it together, and the processes that can change it, such as nuclear reactions.

2. What are photons, electrons, and positrons?

Photons, electrons, and positrons are all subatomic particles. Photons are particles of light and are responsible for carrying electromagnetic radiation. Electrons are negatively charged particles that orbit the nucleus of an atom. Positrons are the antiparticles of electrons, meaning they have the same mass as an electron but with a positive charge.

3. How are photons, electrons, and positrons related to nuclear physics?

Photons, electrons, and positrons are all involved in nuclear physics in different ways. Photons are used to study the properties of nuclei through techniques like gamma-ray spectroscopy. Electrons and positrons are involved in nuclear reactions, such as beta decay, where a neutron in the nucleus decays into a proton, electron, and antineutrino.

4. What is the role of nuclear physics in energy production?

Nuclear physics plays a significant role in energy production through nuclear power plants. These plants use nuclear fission reactions to generate heat, which is then converted into electricity. Nuclear fusion, the process of combining atomic nuclei, is also being researched as a potential source of clean and sustainable energy.

5. How do nuclear physics, photons, electrons, and positrons impact our daily lives?

Nuclear physics, photons, electrons, and positrons have a significant impact on our daily lives. Nuclear medicine, which uses radioactive isotopes for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes, is a direct application of nuclear physics. Photons are used in technologies like lasers and telecommunications. Electrons and positrons are involved in medical imaging techniques such as PET scans. Additionally, nuclear power plants provide a significant portion of the world's energy supply.