Number 9 multiplication tricks

• Thread starter Rick890
  • Start date
In summary, it is a well-known fact in math that if a number is multiplied by 9, the resulting digits of that number will always sum to 9. This can be easily proven using the properties of modular arithmetic and is often used as a quick check in calculations, known as "casting out nines." Additionally, similar properties can be found in other number systems, such as base 8 and base 16. However, this method may not catch certain errors, such as reversing digits.
Rick890
It seems that if the number 9 is multiplied by a number, the resulting digits of that number will sum to 9. Does this always hold true? Is there a simple proof for this, or at least a proof up to some finite number?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I assume that by a "number" you are referring to a positive integer.

9x11 = 99
9+9 = 18 != 9 (although 1+8 = 9)

It's easy to prove that sum of the digits is always an integral multiple of 9, though.

It's called "Casting out Nines." The fact is that 10 congruent to 1, Modulo 9, (you might have to look up modulo) and thus 10^n==1 Mod 9 for n a positive integer. So that:

[tex]\sum a_i10^n \equiv \sum a_i [/tex] Modulo 9.

This fact was often used by bookkeepers in the old days as a check on figures. After calculating the answer, they would go through the problem again "casting out nines," to get a check.

For example: 125x275 = 34375== 4 Mod 9. and 125==8 Mod 9, 275 ==5 Mod 9. So that 125 x 275 ==8x5=40==4 Mod 9.

Last edited:
This is a consequence of the behavior of modular arithmetic, plus the fact that 10 = 1 (mod 9).

Your multiple of 9, as any other number, can be expressed as its digits multiplied by powers of 10; say, 1845 is 1.10^3 + 8.10^2 + 4.10 + 5. Now, being a multiple of 9 means that its remainder when divided by 9 is exactly zero. So you would write, 1845 = 0 (mod 9).

Arithmetic modulo some number n (in our case, modulo 9) has this useful properties:
If a = a' (mod n) and b = b' (mod n), the following are true:
  • a + b = a' + b' (mod n)
  • ab = a'b' (mod n)
  • a^i = a'^i (mod n), for any integer i

So any expression you can write using sums, products or powers to some integer, will produce the same result whether
  • you calculate the whole expression first, and then finally take the remainder modulo n, or
  • you take the remainders modulo n of your numbers, and do the operation on the remainders, taking the modulo n after each operation.

For the example number above, you can do all operations "mod 9", taking notice that 10 = 1 (mod 9). Then you have:
= 1.10^3 + 8.10^2 + 4.10 + 5
= 1.1^3 + 8.1^2 + 4.1 + 5
= 1 + 8 + 4 + 5 (mod 9)​

Rick890 said:
It seems that if the number 9 is multiplied by a number, the resulting digits of that number will sum to 9. Does this always hold true? Is there a simple proof for this, or at least a proof up to some finite number?

Another statement of what has been explained Robort Ihnot and Dodo is that whenever you add nine it corresponds to adding ten and removing one. In other words, you move digit values from the tens to the ones, but you do not change their sum.

robert Ihnot said:
This fact was often used by bookkeepers in the old days as a check on figures. After calculating the answer, they would go through the problem again "casting out nines," to get a check.

For example: 125x275 = 34375== 4 Mod 9. and 125==8 Mod 9, 275 ==5 Mod 9. So that 125 x 275 ==8x5=40==4 Mod 9.

Can you run through this a little slower? This seems like an incredibly powerful tool for checking numbers (for those of us old fools who still try to do it without computers).

[ EDIT ] Never mind, a quick Wiki did the trick. I've got to try that next time I have several large numbers!

MAN I wish I'd known that trick in grade school and high school! Many of my tests and assignments were lower than expected because of no expedient way of cross-checking.

Last edited:
The biggest use of "casting out nines" was in Accounting, where it might be discussed. Of course, it is not a fool-proof test, but serves as a quick check. A common error, so I was told, is for the writer to reverse digits, such that 23 was put down as 32. Of course casting out nines will not help with that error.

I have noticed that few students today even understand that to multiply 9 by a single digit number, from 2-9, you subtract 1 and add what it takes to make nine for the second digit. Thus 9x5 = 45. This is such a simple thing if you are learning the multiplication tables.

Last edited:
In base 8, 7 has the same property as 9 does in base 10. Similar with 0xF in base 16.

Dodo said:
This is a consequence of the behavior of modular arithmetic, plus the fact that 10 = 1 (mod 9).
Hmmm...I think this sentence could have been better constructed, wot?

1. What is the "Number 9 multiplication trick"?

The "Number 9 multiplication trick" is a mental calculation technique that helps simplify the process of multiplying a number by 9.

2. How does the "Number 9 multiplication trick" work?

The trick involves multiplying the number by 10 and then subtracting the original number from the result. For example, to multiply 9 by 6, you would multiply 6 by 10 to get 60, and then subtract 6 from 60 to get the answer 54.

3. Why is the "Number 9 multiplication trick" useful?

The trick can be helpful in situations where you need to do quick mental calculations, such as in exams or in daily life. It can also help improve mental math skills and make multiplication easier to understand.

4. Are there any limitations to the "Number 9 multiplication trick"?

The trick only works for numbers that are multiples of 9. It also may not be as accurate as using traditional multiplication methods, so it is important to double-check the answer.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills with the "Number 9 multiplication trick"?

You can practice by using the trick with different numbers and trying to calculate the answers mentally. You can also try using the trick in everyday situations, such as calculating tips or grocery prices, to become more comfortable with it.