Number of electrons leaving crystal surface. any help ?

In summary, the scanning tunnelling electron microscope measures a tiny electrical current of 0.30 pA (0.30 x 10-12 A) tunnelling out of the surface of a crystal. Using the definition of an Ampere (1 Coulomb/sec) and the fact that 1 Coulomb is equal to 6.24 x 1018 elementary charges, the number of electrons leaving the crystal surface per second can be calculated. The result is 1,872,000 electrons per second.
CharS
number of electrons leaving crystal surface. any help :)?

1. A scanning tunnelling electron microscope (STM) measures a tiny electrical current tunnelling out of the surface of a crystal. The current is 0.30 pA (0.30 x 10-12 A).

Calculate the number of electrons per second leaving the surface of the crystal.

2. mass of an electron = 9.11 x 10-31 kg
charge of an electron = -1.6 x 100-19 C

3. I have no idea how to answer this. Thanks to anyone who has any tips or pointers :) or can show me how to work it out correctly! x

Physics news on Phys.org

CharS said:
1. A scanning tunnelling electron microscope (STM) measures a tiny electrical current tunnelling out of the surface of a crystal. The current is 0.30 pA (0.30 x 10-12 A).

Calculate the number of electrons per second leaving the surface of the crystal.

2. mass of an electron = 9.11 x 10-31 kg
charge of an electron = -1.6 x 100-19 C

3. I have no idea how to answer this. Thanks to anyone who has any tips or pointers :) or can show me how to work it out correctly! x

Welcome to PF.

Neither the mass nor the charge is that useful for this. You need to look at the definition of an Ampere, which is 1 Coulomb/sec.

A Coulomb relates to a quantity of charges. Just look it up and calculate the rest.
Wikipedia said:
A coulomb is then equal to exactly 6.241 509 629 152 65 × 1018 elementary charges.

thank you for your help :)

I looked it up before with little success!

so would the answer be = (0.30 x 10^-12) x (6.241 509 629 152 65 × 10^18)

??

i must look incredibly stupid! just never been taught this before, finding it really hard to learn myself x

oh wait.

i think it's 0.30 x 10^-12/ 6.24150948×10^18

before was wrong. is that the correct calculation?x

CharS said:
thank you for your help :)

I looked it up before with little success!

so would the answer be = (0.30 x 10^-12) x (6.241 509 629 152 65 × 10^18)

When you do the math it will be.

You can simplify the number of digits needed however:

(0.30 x 10-12) x (6.24 × 1018)

so the answer is 1,872,000

i'm still struggling to understand how this works. thankyou for your help

1. What is the significance of the number of electrons leaving a crystal surface?

The number of electrons leaving a crystal surface can provide valuable information about the surface properties of the crystal, such as its electronic structure and reactivity.

2. How is the number of electrons leaving a crystal surface measured?

The number of electrons leaving a crystal surface is typically measured using techniques such as Kelvin probe force microscopy or photoelectron spectroscopy.

3. What factors can affect the number of electrons leaving a crystal surface?

The number of electrons leaving a crystal surface can be influenced by factors such as the crystal's surface composition, temperature, and exposure to light or other external stimuli.

4. How does the number of electrons leaving a crystal surface relate to its conductivity?

The number of electrons leaving a crystal surface is directly related to its conductivity. Higher numbers of electrons leaving the surface indicate a higher conductivity, while lower numbers indicate a lower conductivity.

5. Can the number of electrons leaving a crystal surface be controlled?

Yes, the number of electrons leaving a crystal surface can be controlled through various methods, such as changing the crystal's surface composition or applying an external voltage.