1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity and Equivalence of Mass and Energy

1. Mar 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron is accelerated to a speed that is 99 percent the speed of light, and is moving through a 2-km-long tunnel. The rest mass of the electron is 9.11*10^-31 kg. What is the mass of the electron at this speed?
    c= speed of light
    2. Relevant equations
    t= (tsubscript(o))/ root(1-(v^2/c^2)
    L= Lsubscript(o)* root(1-0)= Lsubscript(o)
    p= (mv)/ root(1-0) = mv
    KE= ((mc^2)/ root(1-(v^2/c^2))-mc^2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried plugging the rest mass into the last equation on the top which gives me 9.11*10^-31/ root(1-((.99c)^2/c^2
    which calculates out to
    9.11*10^-31/ root(1-.9801)
    9.11*10^-31/root(0.0199)
    9.11*10^-31/0.14106736
    =6.458*10^-30

I'm unsure if this is correct. It's listed as one of the answers but I don't know if I used the correct equation, so the fact that it's listed as an answer could be a trick. I also don't know how the 2km long tunnel plays into the equation. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2017 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine to me. The length of the tunnel is irrelevant. (Note that "relativistic mass" is a rather antiquated concept nowadays.)

4. Mar 16, 2017 #3
    So in a different equation using some of the same values, say,
    An electron is accelerated to a speed that is 99 percent the speed of light, and is moving through a 2-km-long tunnel.
    Could I calculate the length of the tunnel in the frame of reference of the electron or is that too irrelevant?

5. Mar 16, 2017 #4

Doc Al

Sure you can. For that problem, the "rest" length of the tunnel is very relevant.

6. Mar 16, 2017 #5
    So how would I do that?

7. Mar 16, 2017 #6

Doc Al

Look up the formula for "length contraction" (one of the key relativistic effects).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted