Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Number of photons in a given space

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    Because they are massless, could you theoretically fit an infinite number of Photons into a small space? There is probably an equation that proves this wrong but I'm curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #2
    Hmm, I do not think so. Photons have energy, and if you stack a sufficiently (VERY) large number of them together into a sufficiently small space, according to physics a black hole should form. EDIT: Actually I'm not really sure about this at the moment, I have to think about it... :biggrin: EDIT 2: I have thought about it, and I think I am correct :smile:.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    I think the Pauli exclusion principle says that you can't have two particles having the same state in the same place at the same time,
    Isn't that part of the definition of QM?

5. Jan 10, 2017 #4
    That's for fermions (they can't have the same state). Photons, however, are bosons. Particles are divided into fermions and bosons, see e.g.

6. Jan 10, 2017 #5

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

7. Jan 12, 2017 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Whether or not an equation says it is possible, it obviously isn't possible in reality to set up a situation where you have an infinite number of photons in a finite amount of space.

8. Jan 14, 2017 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted