Number of photons in a given space

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Bradfordly1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photons Space
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Bradfordly1
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Because they are massless, could you theoretically fit an infinite number of Photons into a small space? There is probably an equation that proves this wrong but I'm curious.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bradfordly1 said:
Because they are massless, could you theoretically fit an infinite number of Photons into a small space?
Hmm, I do not think so. Photons have energy, and if you stack a sufficiently (VERY) large number of them together into a sufficiently small space, according to physics a black hole should form. EDIT: Actually I'm not really sure about this at the moment, I have to think about it... :biggrin: EDIT 2: I have thought about it, and I think I am correct :smile:.
 
Last edited:
I think the Pauli exclusion principle says that you can't have two particles having the same state in the same place at the same time,
Isn't that part of the definition of QM?
 
rootone said:
I think the Pauli exclusion principle says that you can't have two particles having the same state in the same place at the same time, Isn't that part of the definition of QM?
That's for fermions (they can't have the same state). Photons, however, are bosons. Particles are divided into fermions and bosons, see e.g.
Hyperphysics said:
Bosons are particles which have integer spin and which therefore are not constrained by the Pauli exclusion principle like the half-integer spin fermions.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur and rootone
Bradfordly1 said:
Because they are massless, could you theoretically fit an infinite number of Photons into a small space? There is probably an equation that proves this wrong but I'm curious.

Whether or not an equation says it is possible, it obviously isn't possible in reality to set up a situation where you have an infinite number of photons in a finite amount of space.