Number of Positive Divisors of an Integer: Proof

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Gear300
Messages
1,212
Reaction score
10
Edit: I'm shifting to a more general question:
If the prime factorization of an integer n is given by

n = p1v1p2v2⋅⋅⋅pkvk

then what would be a proof for the number of positive divisors of n being

d(n) = (v1 + 1)(v2 + 1)⋅⋅⋅(vk + 1)
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Gear300 said:
I am supposed to find the number of positive integral divisors of 2r3s. The number is (r+1)(s+1). I tried a number of ways, but I'm not getting the intended answer. Any help?

Hi Gear300! :wink:

Just write out the typical divisor …

what does it look like? :smile:​