1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of rolls with m many n-sided dice

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Number of rolls with m many n-sided dice

How many different rolls are there with m many n-sided dice, if order is not important?

If order was important, the answer would simply be n^m. But if order is not important?

If two 6-sided dice are rolled, there are C(6,2)+C(6,1) = 21 different rolls.
    If three 6-sided dice are rolled, there are C(6,3)+C(6,1)C(5,1)+C(6,1) = 56 different rolls.

Is there a general method for rolling m many n-sided dice? Or do you have to continue adding up all the cases? Perhaps a general method involving a matrix with m indices (e.g. a tensor) and simply excluding all permutations of the indices?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    Wouldn't it be n^m/m!? For example, say you have a black die and a red die, both 6-sided. The number of possible rolls is 6^2. If you ignore the color of the dice, then you have to divide by 2.

4. Feb 29, 2008 #3
    No. The number of rolls with 2 six-sided dice (if order is unimportant) is 21, not 18. Rolls with doubles are not being counted twice if order is considered important.

5. Feb 29, 2008 #4
    Oh that's right. Sorry about that. I don't know of a general method. I'm thinking that you would first have to count the number of rolls where all dice show the same side, then for m-1 dice showing the same side, then for m-2 dice, etc.

6. Feb 29, 2008 #5
    That's exactly what I did in my opening post. But it gets awkward after a while (e.g. for 7 dice, you can have 2 doubles and 1 triple). I'm looking for a better method that gives a single formula for arbitrarily values of m and n,

e.g. m^n minus something.

7. Feb 29, 2008 #6

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Yes.

[tex] \frac{(n + m - 1)!}{m!(n - 1)!} [/tex]

CS

8. Feb 29, 2008 #7
    Wow! That gives the right answer for all the cases I worked out.

So the answer is C(m+n-1,m), i.e. the number of ways to choose m numbers from m+n-1 numbers. Half of this makes some sense to me because we are rolling m dice. But what's the reason for the m+n-1?

9. Feb 29, 2008 #8

stewartcs

Science Advisor

10. Feb 29, 2008 #9
    Thank you so much. Sometimes extra knowledge is the key to solving a problem.

11. Jan 22, 2011 #10
    Re: [SOLVED] Number of rolls with m many n-sided dice

That doesn't work for larger values because your dice cannot show more pips than n. Your formula doesn't account for that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?